2-27-2021 Saturday Live Chat

Kako ste gospodje i gospodo?

Debi's posts on cabbage rolls yesterday took me back. My maternal grandmother was Croation, her family from Zagreb. I'm a Markovich by blood and grew up eating all kinds of Croation treats. Mom spoke Croation with her own mom, and that side of the family. I remember a bit of it, enough that I wouldn't starve or have to sleep in the rain if I suddenly found myself on the streets of Zagreb, but I would certainly embarrass myself in the process, lol. Kids also manage to pick up all the cuss words and insults.

Back in the 90's, I remember some Bosnian refugees that came to work for my employer. Terrific people, they spoke the same Serbo-Croation language that is widely spoken in the former Yugoslavia. Mostly professionals who had no accredidation in this country so they took factory jobs while taking classes here to eventually get back into their own fields. But smart nice people and they gravitated to me when they found the manager who understood them (most of the time). They also knew they couldn't grouse about the company if I was within earshot, lol. But upon hearing some of the Croation words and inflections I used, they politely informed me that my people had come from "the wrong side of the tracks". LMAO! I am still friends with a couple of them who stayed in the area and are still alive, decades later.

• Love it
Reactions: garnetsilver

Debi's posts on cabbage rolls yesterday took me back. My maternal grandmother was Croation, her family from Zagreb. I'm a Markovich by blood and grew up eating all kinds of Croation treats. Mom spoke Croation with her own mom, and that side of the family. I remember a bit of it, enough that I wouldn't starve or have to sleep in the rain if I suddenly found myself on the streets of Zagreb, but I would certainly embarrass myself in the process, lol. Kids also manage to pick up all the cuss words and insults.

Back in the 90's, I remember some Bosnian refugees that came to work for my employer. Terrific people, they spoke the same Serbo-Croation language that is widely spoken in the former Yugoslavia. Mostly professionals who had no accredidation in this country so they took factory jobs while taking classes here to eventually get back into their own fields. But smart nice people and they gravitated to me when they found the manager who understood them (most of the time). They also knew they couldn't grouse about the company if I was within earshot, lol. But upon hearing some of the Croation words and inflections I used, they politely informed me that my people had come from "the wrong side of the tracks". LMAO! I am still friends with a couple of them who stayed in the area and are still alive, decades later.
Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Dobro sam hvala

Yup....my grandparents also from Zagreb. Somewhere in that line of people one was the mayor of that city. And I picked up all the cuss words before I was 4....lol I really no longer speak it but if ya go really slow I can understand some of it still. lol AND my Grandparents owned a restaurant. You can imagine the food by which I was surrounded.