2,000 Ancient Native bones discovered in house

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
https://nypost.com/2019/02/27/fbi-finds-2000-ancient-human-bones-in-indiana-mans-house/

A man who ran an amateur museum out of his Indiana home kept a collection of thousands of stolen Native American bones, officials revealed this week.

Federal investigators probed the trove of 42,000 relics belonging to Don Miller, who died in in 2015, because they suspected many of the items were obtained in violation of antiquities laws.

But what they found was horrifying.

“About 2,000 human bones,” Tim Carpenter, who heads the FBI’s art crime unit, told CBS News on Tuesday.

“To the best of our knowledge right now, those 2,000 bones represent about 500 human beings.”

Nearly all of the remains had been dug up from Native American burial sites.

“It’s very staggering,” Carpenter said.

Asked why anyone would want to have that many human bones, Carpenter replied: “I don’t know. I truly don’t know.”

Until this week, officials had provided few details about the case into Miller’s collection, which includes pre-Columbian pottery, Ming Dynasty jade and an Egyptian sarcophagus.

Miller, a former Christian missionary and ham radio operator died in 2015 at 91.

But before his death, he admitted that he came by many of the relics illegally and that he had gone on unsanctioned archaeological digs all over the world, Carpenter said.

The FBI agent agreed that the objects should be returned to their proper homes.

The investigation into the collection is still ongoing. Experts anticipate it could take

Reactions: JohnHermes
Wonder if he thought it was ok to disturb Christian graves.
That wouldn't have made him the money he was after. This is not far from me. They have been investigating this for several years now. I heard about it awhile back.

Reactions: ozentity
I don't believe the dead can harm you(physically) but with that many people's graves desecrated it cant be good spiritually.

Reactions: JohnHermes and Debi
I don't believe the dead can harm you(physically) but with that many people's graves desecrated it cant be good spiritually.
The guy was totally nuts from what I've read. Ran this little "museum" out of his home. Big home, granted, but good grief. Local school kids took field trips there! Nobody knew what he really had hidden away there.

If he was mentally ill I suppose you could say he was unaware of his actions,or did his actions cause him to suffer mentally.I hope they returned the remains to their rightful places.

If he was mentally ill I suppose you could say he was unaware of his actions,or did his actions cause him to suffer mentally.I hope they returned the remains to their rightful places.
The FBI is working on that based on what I've read about it. This could take a few years to ID all the bones by DNA and track down where they all came from. A sad mess.