Open Lines 12 year old wins ESPN NCAA basketball bracket, gets no prize.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-prize-for-winning-espn-bracket-im-irritated/
A sixth-grade boy from suburban Chicago beat millions in completing a near-perfect bracket predicting the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and finished in a tie for first in ESPN’s annual contest.

Sam Holtz said ESPN officials told him Tuesday that is he ineligible to claim the top prize — a $20,000 gift card — because he’s only 12 years old. ESPN requires participants to be at least 18 to win the prize. Instead, he was told he will get a goody bag from the cable network.

Technically, ESPN is right to deny payment. The rules were plain when the boy entered the contest. However, placing the 20k in a college trust fund for the young man would buy ESPN a lot of good publicity.

Reactions: Debi
That would be nice for the boy, but what about next year, Surge? How many kids would enter just to see if they could get a college fund? I can see why they don't want to set a precedent on this one for that reason.

Reactions: surge
I see not wanting to set a precedent too, but I sort of feel like this one is on them for having a loophole that allows for underage contestants. Just require a copy of a valid ID accompany all entries, and that should solve the problem. I'm actually surprised there wasn't already some sort of verification in place.

Last edited:
Did the contest rules not state only over the age of 18?

The rules did state 18 or over to be eligible, so ESPN is within their rights to not pay up. If it was my money I'm sure I'd be a stickler for the rules being followed too! J just think, with technology where it is today, it would be simple enough to verify age before even accepting the brackets.