12-26-2022 Monday Live Chat

My 17 yr. old Grandson is now working part-time as a goldsmith apprentice. The company he works for allowed him to work on some copper (from his other late grandfather) for his mom's Christmas present. I was blown away with his handcrafted cardinal necklace with a jeweled eye. Sorry...Nana braggin' rights.

View attachment 44865
great job, really nice

Reactions: GoneWestUtah
great job, really nice
Thanks. I shall pass that along. He is already a blacksmith and will have his college courses for welding done by the time he graduates High School this Spring. Believe it or not, all that somehow also goes along with goldsmithing.

Thanks. I shall pass that along. He is already a blacksmith and will have his college courses for welding done by the time he graduates High School this Spring. Believe it or not, all that somehow also goes along with goldsmithing.
nice..... i ran a metal shop for a few years. school is good for welding but the best way to learn is to just buy a welder and go at it...lol....(TIG is the best thing to learn in schools, or the best thing to pay attention to...). now the blacksmith part is the most valuable skill to have. learning the different metals and properties is priceless. i thought i was good, could weld anything, fabricate anything easily, blah, blah, blah.....lol... until a real metalcraft expert came along, a true blacksmith,. man, he taught me things i would never learn anywhere else. he was a true master craftsman. humbled me down a notch or two...lol. taught me methods of treating metals ive never seen before... and sooo much more...... possibilities are endless with those skills. best wishes for him.... get that kid a welder (or 3, he will understand...) a power hammer and an english wheel asap.

nice..... i ran a metal shop for a few years. school is good for welding but the best way to learn is to just buy a welder and go at it...lol....(TIG is the best thing to learn in schools, or the best thing to pay attention to...). now the blacksmith part is the most valuable skill to have. learning the different metals and properties is priceless. i thought i was good, could weld anything, fabricate anything easily, blah, blah, blah.....lol... until a real metalcraft expert came along, a true blacksmith,. man, he taught me things i would never learn anywhere else. he was a true master craftsman. humbled me down a notch or two...lol. taught me methods of treating metals ive never seen before... and sooo much more...... possibilities are endless with those skills. best wishes for him.... get that kid a welder (or 3, he will understand...) a power hammer and an english wheel asap.
He has all the above already and his own "shop" set up at home. When he showed the abilities my son set out to help him. He has his own forge, has been learning under a master blacksmith for 4 years, has all the welding equipment, and also won second place in his State's college level welding competition this year. Since he is home schooled, he can work his schedule around college/hs courses/and working part time. I'm just waiting for him to show up on Forged in Fire anytime now...lol

He's really enjoying the fine work with the jewelry right now. I have no idea what area of all this he will choose eventually, but he's well prepared for just about anything.

He has all the above already and his own "shop" set up at home. When he showed the abilities my son set out to help him. He has his own forge, has been learning under a master blacksmith for 4 years, has all the welding equipment, and also won second place in his State's college level welding competition this year. Since he is home schooled, he can work his schedule around college/hs courses/and working part time. I'm just waiting for him to show up on Forged in Fire anytime now...lol

He's really enjoying the fine work with the jewelry right now. I have no idea what area of all this he will choose eventually, but he's well prepared for just about anything.
its definitely an art where you learn as much as possible. make a lot of friends and mentors.. show respect and make a good name for yourself, like so many other fields such as this, everyone knows everyone in the long haul. be honest and respectable and build that reputation. to fully succeed and meet your full potential you have to start your own shop when the time is right. then you can choose what you want to be known for..... sounds like you going to be looking for some real estate soon....... a good shop space has to have character...lol... a river and or railroad tracks is always a nice neighbor/border....lol

Reactions: garnetsilver
My 17 yr. old Grandson is now working part-time as a goldsmith apprentice. The company he works for allowed him to work on some copper (from his other late grandfather) for his mom's Christmas present. I was blown away with his handcrafted cardinal necklace with a jeweled eye. Sorry...Nana braggin' rights.

View attachment 44865
That is exquisite!

its definitely an art where you learn as much as possible. make a lot of friends and mentors.. show respect and make a good name for yourself, like so many other fields such as this, everyone knows everyone in the long haul. be honest and respectable and build that reputation. to fully succeed and meet your full potential you have to start your own shop when the time is right. then you can choose what you want to be known for..... sounds like you going to be looking for some real estate soon....... a good shop space has to have character...lol... a river and or railroad tracks is always a nice neighbor/border....lol
How about a creek on 10 acres? lol My son put him by the creek and for now he's got a really nice little shop with a drive back to it. Until he decides which way he's going with this, he's got a nice set up for the moment. This is my T1D grandson so the family tries to keep him within reach of someone with the medical know how for emergencies.

Hi everyone! Hope the Man with the Bag gave you all what you wanted, or at least what you deserved. ;)

I slept very well thanks to 2 Lidocane patches, 800 mg iboprofen, and a muscle-relaxant.

But after lunch I had to unclog the sink in the master bathroom. I ended up having to resort to a 25-ft snake, AND a gallon of industrial strength hair disolver. But it drains perfectly again. I finished right before supper. Neck and shoulder aren't doing too badly.
Going to replace the kitchen sink faucet in a few days, that one will twist me up a bit more. But I am off work all week.

Hey, it's Boxing Day, isn't it? Also my brother's birthday.
Take it easy! Make time to relax, as well! We need to do something about the bathroom sink here, too, as well as replace the kitchen faucet.

One thing I have always regretted was not following through when someone offered me an apprenticeship in the art of making stained glass. But I had a full plate already with a child, school, and a full time job.

Reactions: Paulm