12-13-2022 Tuesday Live Chat

i live right across the street from the tracks, can see the trains go by every day. hearing the whistle is just background noise now, hardly even notice it most times anymore....as a child we lived right above a river and used to walk the trestle bridge tracks across the river back in the swamp....good times
We lived across from the same coal train train tracks (different area, same line) i mentioned above. That thing would shake the house until it finally passed lol.

My hometown was known for its trains...and the overwhelming amount of tracks. The one excuse accepted anywhere around town for being late was "Caught a train." I always think of my mom when I hear a train whistle.

And I love the sound of a distant train whistle! I used to live in a house that was really close to a train track, and that thing would go off really loud in the middle of the night. Fun!

• Wow
Reactions: Selectric and Debi
I used to do it a lot in my late 20's and very early 30's. We weren't supposed to be there, but we did it anyway. We had to duck and cover when a locomotive slowed down looking for us, had another come up behind us and didn't even hear it - but saw the reflection of the headlamp and hauled butt. We were warned by a cop to stay off of the tracks. We ventured deep into the woods on both ends and covered a few miles by the time all was said and done. Good times.