11-19-2021 Friday Live Chat

vfLr9MT0.jpeg
Hiya !

For me it was my 1986 Toyota 4x4 Extended Cab pick-up truck. It was bright red with black pipe bumpers, lifted with 32" all terrain tires with a 5-speed manual transmission. If you remember the beginning of movie Back to the Future when Marty sees a truck and says "Check out that 4x4!" and then at the end when his life is different he has that same truck in the garage; my truck was basically the same but in red.

I drove that over every type of terrain it could handle; on road Check, off-road Check, a pile of rocks that would break an ankle if you tried to climb it Check! The only issue I had with that truck was that the little 2.2 liter, 4 cylinder engine was apparently not designed for to take the same abuse as the rest of the truck. I had to replace the engine twice in a four year period. The first time it threw a rod and the second time it got a crack between the water pump and engine block so water was mixing with oil in the engine.

When looking to replace the 2nd broken engine I was talking to a guy who ran the off-road shop in town. He actually had a special light-weight aluminum block racing version of the 22L engine for my truck, but it wasn't cheap and I would need the special racing transmission and drive shaft to go along with it. All in total it would cost me about $10,000 to get my truck setup. But he also offered me the option of putting a bunch of stickers and decals on my truck for his shop and some of the brands he sold to advertise for him in off-road competitions. Before the second engine died I had actually been planning to enter into a "Tough Truck Competition" so this seemed like a unique opportunity. However, after thinking about it I wasn't sure that being a semi professional off-road driver was the right career path. I sold the truck instead.

Now I live in Denver Colorado and can see the Rocky Mountains from my house, full of all manner of off-road fun. However I now drive a four door sedan so no rocky trails for me.

For me it was my 1986 Toyota 4x4 Extended Cab pick-up truck. It was bright red with black pipe bumpers, lifted with 32" all terrain tires with a 5-speed manual transmission. If you remember the beginning of movie Back to the Future when Marty sees a truck and says "Check out that 4x4!" and then at the end when his life is different he has that same truck in the garage; my truck was basically the same but in red.

I drove that over every type of terrain it could handle; on road Check, off-road Check, a pile of rocks that would break an ankle if you tried to climb it Check! The only issue I had with that truck was that the little 2.2 liter, 4 cylinder engine was apparently not designed for to take the same abuse as the rest of the truck. I had to replace the engine twice in a four year period. The first time it threw a rod and the second time it got a crack between the water pump and engine block so water was mixing with oil in the engine.

When looking to replace the 2nd broken engine I was talking to a guy who ran the off-road shop in town. He actually had a special light-weight aluminum block racing version of the 22L engine for my truck, but it wasn't cheap and I would need the special racing transmission and drive shaft to go along with it. All in total it would cost me about $10,000 to get my truck setup. But he also offered me the option of putting a bunch of stickers and decals on my truck for his shop and some of the brands he sold to advertise for him in off-road competitions. Before the second engine died I had actually been planning to enter into a "Tough Truck Competition" so this seemed like a unique opportunity. However, after thinking about it I wasn't sure that being a semi professional off-road driver was the right career path. I sold the truck instead.

Now I live in Denver Colorado and can see the Rocky Mountains from my house, full of all manner of off-road fun. However I now drive a four door sedan so no rocky trails for me.
Life happens to us all.

Reactions: Stevedog