$1,010,055 Watch

OK, I simply have to ask. WHAT is the fascination with a watch like this? OK, it has a lot of moving parts. I get that. But that is a ridicules amount of money for a lot of parts. I'm with Critter...if it costs that much it should transport you in time, do the dishes, clean your house, and make supper for you everynight at the very least!

I know this will hurt your soul, Sea, but it's a trinket! It's a shiny bauble that goes tick tock. Nothing is worth that much money.
I agree on the ones that cost this kind of money - way over the top.

There is a large following however for mechanical watches. An admiration for the complexity and sheer genius that makes up a watch. They have hundreds and hundreds of parts, tiny parts, and to think that man came up with this is still remarkable.

All watches used to be mechanical, but then there was the "quartz revolution" in the 1970's. This almost killed the watch industry. The number of watch manufacturers was drastically reduced. They have in recent years had sort of a new Renaissance. People that enjoy mechanical watches sometimes do it because they are simply expensive and they want the name brand on their wrist. Others truly enjoy the little machine for what it does. The funny thing, is even the very best watches, even costing thousands and thousands of dollars, are only so accurate. They either gain or lose time based on several factors. If you want accuracy, a $10 quartz watch is much more accurate. So, it truly is for the love of the contraption.

For me personally, I have taken apart and reassembled these mechanical watches. To actually handle all the little pieces and go from just parts to it actually working, makes you realize just how incredible they are. Some in the hobby liken it to the first heartbeat of something the way a watch first starts up.

I agree on the ones that cost this kind of money - way over the top.

There is a large following however for mechanical watches. An admiration for the complexity and sheer genius that makes up a watch. They have hundreds and hundreds of parts, tiny parts, and to think that man came up with this is still remarkable.

All watches used to be mechanical, but then there was the "quartz revolution" in the 1970's. This almost killed the watch industry. The number of watch manufacturers was drastically reduced. They have in recent years had sort of a new Renaissance. People that enjoy mechanical watches sometimes do it because they are simply expensive and they want the name brand on their wrist. Others truly enjoy the little machine for what it does. The funny thing, is even the very best watches, even costing thousands and thousands of dollars, are only so accurate. They either gain or lose time based on several factors. If you want accuracy, a $10 quartz watch is much more accurate. So, it truly is for the love of the contraption.

For me personally, I have taken apart and reassembled these mechanical watches. To actually handle all the little pieces and go from just parts to it actually working, makes you realize just how incredible they are. Some in the hobby liken it to the first heartbeat of something the way a watch first starts up.
OK, I can get that part! lol It's just all that money for ONE watch? Yikes.

Reactions: Seahunter
It probably costs more because some of these companies will only sell their limited edition watches to repeat customers.

The most expensive watch I ever bought was a Nixon. The rubber on those are impossible to scratch.

OK, I can get that part! lol It's just all that money for ONE watch? Yikes.
When you're talking these ultra high-end watches, you're also looking at them as an investment probably secondarily. There may only be ONE example of the watch, maybe ten. The value of precious metals and jewels also comes into play, let alone the scarcity. They are in a certain way a good way to be off the grid with money. If you have a couple low-end Rolex's for example, and you need quick cash, you can go to any luxury watch shop or pawn broker and get rapid cash. They hold their value and are very much in demand.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
It probably costs more because some of these companies will only sell their limited edition watches to repeat customers.
This is true. Most of the really special watches will never officially be for sale. You are right, they go to special repeat clients, and then there might be a list of a few people if there are a few more watches. A lot of the one-of-a-kind pieces are also created just for the client so they never are for sale publicly either.

Reactions: Debi and 7Critter
The most expensive watch I ever bought was a Nixon. The rubber on those are impossible to scratch.
They have some really cool designs. I like how you can customize the watches. That is becoming more popular.

I have a German watch that was customized for me. It has my name on the dial and also on the watch band. I can't show it here because it doesn't say "Seahunter" on that one! :p