“UFO” sighting. USA.

Mendoza

Reaction score
Late last year, around Oct/Nov I was driving at around 11pm and saw what a light in the sky that looked similar to a helicopters spotlight or one of the landing lights on a plane but right off the bat knew it was too low for a plane and it wasn’t moving or projecting a beam like a helicopter. It was perfectly still and put off an odd vibe with just how still and planted it was. It was too solidly placed to be anything that I know of that would be in the sky.

With the way the roads are I could almost get under it but not quite, but I ended up getting pretty close just taking the route I was. My gf was with me and she also got stumped by what it could be. No noise, no blinking lights, just a ball of light, planted there. So that was interesting, but it never really came up in convo again.

Six months or so later I walked out on my back deck and it was back again, behind my place. Same M.O., no noise, movement etc. Exact same scenario. I know all the incoming plane routes, and the airport is far enough off that they are very much higher when they come through and any helicopter that may show up it different. They act like helicopters. :)

So I got some pictures. Incidentally as I was shooting the pics my phones flash reset back to being on so I may have signaled whatever it was twice so that wasn’t my most covert moment ever but these photos have been checked with star maps, overlaid on daytime photos I’ve taken and how low it was put into perspective. It’s not a star and it’s not an aircraft that I’m familiar with so, I just don’t know what it could be. I’m not suggesting aliens but it’s something out of the ordinary for me to see around here or anywhere really.

Attachments

• 0681C0DC-1C17-460D-8DE3-7356B6A6C7A3.jpeg
    0681C0DC-1C17-460D-8DE3-7356B6A6C7A3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • 8EC6F5DC-0FE8-4589-B3E3-FC68C1BA2061.jpeg
    8EC6F5DC-0FE8-4589-B3E3-FC68C1BA2061.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 80
Reactions: Debi
I have a video but it’s too large, if anyone wants to see it I’ll send it to you somehow. I have a shorter one but my gf says “wtf” and I don’t want to post that if it’ll be a problem on a family friendly site.

Late last year, around Oct/Nov I was driving at around 11pm and saw what a light in the sky that looked similar to a helicopters spotlight or one of the landing lights on a plane but right off the bat knew it was too low for a plane and it wasn’t moving or projecting a beam like a helicopter. It was perfectly still and put off an odd vibe with just how still and planted it was. It was too solidly placed to be anything that I know of that would be in the sky.

With the way the roads are I could almost get under it but not quite, but I ended up getting pretty close just taking the route I was. My gf was with me and she also got stumped by what it could be. No noise, no blinking lights, just a ball of light, planted there. So that was interesting, but it never really came up in convo again.

Six months or so later I walked out on my back deck and it was back again, behind my place. Same M.O., no noise, movement etc. Exact same scenario. I know all the incoming plane routes, and the airport is far enough off that they are very much higher when they come through and any helicopter that may show up it different. They act like helicopters. :)

So I got some pictures. Incidentally as I was shooting the pics my phones flash reset back to being on so I may have signaled whatever it was twice so that wasn’t my most covert moment ever but these photos have been checked with star maps, overlaid on daytime photos I’ve taken and how low it was put into perspective. It’s not a star and it’s not an aircraft that I’m familiar with so, I just don’t know what it could be. I’m not suggesting aliens but it’s something out of the ordinary for me to see around here or anywhere really.

Looks/sounds like a planet, every planet has times they are most visible. Easiest way to eliminate the obvious is to contact your nearest planetarium, give them all the pertinent data you can (date, time, your location, direction you were looking, etc.) and ask them what planet/star would have been prominent at the time in that location. Another possible source of identification is weekly C2C guest "Dr. Sky" (Contact). I've exchanged a couple emails with him, seems like a good guy.

Reactions: Debi
Check out the image again, your depth perception is getting tricked. That light is just a few miles away from me. Look at the one layered over the day time photo. If it’s ok to have a brief naughty word said I’ll post the video I have or I can send it to you in a private message. When I got close to underneath it, it was within rifle range.

Check out the image again, your depth perception is getting tricked. That light is just a few miles away from me. Look at the one layered over the day time photo. If it’s ok to have a brief naughty word said I’ll post the video I have or I can send it to you in a private message. When I got close to underneath it, it was within rifle range.

You could be right, but the average person has great difficulty in accurately judging height, distance, and speed of airborne objects, especially if the size of the objects aren't known. It's even more challenging at night.

In any event, my recommendation should eliminate doubt as to whether what you saw was some celestial body. Also a chance one or both of what you saw could have been drones. Lots of LED light kits available for even the small, hobbyist drones, and those with electric motors are surprisingly quiet.

Did you check the NUFORC database to see if anyone reported what you saw? It's relatively user friendly, just select the state where the sightings occurred, then look by date.

Last edited:
No I didn’t check NUFORC, I’ll give it a look.

As far as judging distances go I got a pretty good handle on it since when I was driving I was on the other side of it right underneath it so I’ve gotten a 360 degree look at it and in terms of height I can only explain it as it was “right there”. Similar to how if a helicopter comes over you in the city, I couldn’t tell you exact yards but I can ball park that it was lower the first night than some skyscrapers I’ve been around and it’s a similar orientation in that second photo.

So as far as celestial body, that can’t be the case because it was certainly inside our atmosphere and in addition to that lower than the “average” height of clouds.

If you’ve ever seen a helicopter at night when they get called for a high speed pursuit in the city, that’s how high it is and a to b distance I would ball park it about 3-4 miles from my camera lens. If you can zoom in on it that may help put it in perspective. That star off to the right may help put in perspective where stars etc would mostly appear.

Last edited:
UFO? No, It's Venus | DiscoverMagazine.com

Sirius, UFO trickster extraordinaire - Universe Today

Not trying to convince you what you saw was a celestial body, merely pointing out a possible explanation that's quite easy to eliminate with a little leg work. Here are a couple articles I found with a quick search. The story in the first article about the Georgia cops who chased a mysterious, fast-moving object (Venus) “about 500 feet above the ground" is just one of hundreds of like stories I've read/heard over the years.

You seem very sure this was not the case in your sightings, and that's fine. Again, not arguing or trying to convince you. I can guarantee you, however, any UFO investigator worth his salt would seek to eliminate the celestial aspect of such a report very early in the investigation. This is standard procedure on a night time, light(s) only (no structure present) sighting.

Please let us know what you find, if anything, on the NUFORC database. You also might consider filing reports with NUFORC on your sightings. Reports filed with photos/videos are surprisingly not all that common, much to Peter's frustration. The process is pretty straightforward and can be done anonymously if you prefer.

Last edited:
No I didn’t check NUFORC, I’ll give it a look.

As far as judging distances go I got a pretty good handle on it since when I was driving I was on the other side of it right underneath it so I’ve gotten a 360 degree look at it and in terms of height I can only explain it as it was “right there”. Similar to how if a helicopter comes over you in the city, I couldn’t tell you exact yards but I can ball park that it was lower the first night than some skyscrapers I’ve been around and it’s a similar orientation in that second photo.

So as far as celestial body, that can’t be the case because it was certainly inside our atmosphere and in addition to that lower than the “average” height of clouds.

If you’ve ever seen a helicopter at night when they get called for a high speed pursuit in the city, that’s how high it is and a to b distance I would ball park it about 3-4 miles from my camera lens. If you can zoom in on it that may help put it in perspective. That star off to the right may help put in perspective where stars etc would mostly appear.
Hi Mendoza. Duke is just doing the standard rule out that is done for all UFO sightings. It's not that we don't believe your sighting, it's simply standard to do the rule outs so it can be ruled IN as a true UFO. Having seen one myself, at a very low altitude, I know your eyes have seen what they've seen, but even I did a very deep look at all possibilities. I agree with Duke that NUFORC is a pretty easy site to use and Peter over there is a nice guy.

Yeah it’s all good, I’m just helping clarify things. I passed the photos to a guy that checked it against a star map that he calibrated to date/time and what could be seen in the photo of the night sky.

There’s multiple reports of the same thing days apart in surrounding counties, and then variations in colors across the state during that month. That site’s a trip. When I get time I want to go back and go through the other months, specifically Oct/Nov’ish.

Maybe I should report this to the site. I haven’t really mentioned it to anyone in my day to day life because all things considered it’s been probably the least strange, strange thing going on lately.

Yeah it’s all good, I’m just helping clarify things. I passed the photos to a guy that checked it against a star map that he calibrated to date/time and what could be seen in the photo of the night sky.

There’s multiple reports of the same thing days apart in surrounding counties, and then variations in colors across the state during that month. That site’s a trip. When I get time I want to go back and go through the other months, specifically Oct/Nov’ish.

Maybe I should report this to the site. I haven’t really mentioned it to anyone in my day to day life because all things considered it’s been probably the least strange, strange thing going on lately.
Peter is very nice to work with so do feel free to report. Peter does reports on Coast to Coast weekly, if you've not heard him before.