Tonga blast was 10 megatons

One more crazy thing happening in the world. I feel so bad for those who lost their island.

Reactions: ozentity
I can see the possibility of the entire Tongan population being relocated to Utah. Some 100,000 people. Tonga has a huge Utah presence, the Mormon church claims Tonga has the highest percentage of Mormons, of any country.

If the archipelago can't be remediated, this might be the option that makes the most sense.

Other sea-level nations will cease to exist during the lifetimes of our children, from sea-level rise. Entire national populations will have to be re-settled. Tonga can be thought of as a dress rehearsal.

Reactions: ozentity
I can see the possibility of the entire Tongan population being relocated to Utah. Some 100,000 people. Tonga has a huge Utah presence, the Mormon church claims Tonga has the highest percentage of Mormons, of any country.

If the archipelago can't be remediated, this might be the option that makes the most sense.

Other sea-level nations will cease to exist during the lifetimes of our children, from sea-level rise. Entire national populations will have to be re-settled. Tonga can be thought of as a dress rehearsal.
Thank you for sharing that info, GW. I had no idea.

BYU, and to a lesser extent Utah, has a history of Tongan football players. The current BYU head coach is a Tongan who played RB there in the late 1990s.

They are all LDS church members, Duke. BYU will only hire LDS coaches.

I'm sad for all the Tongan people, they are very nice, laid back people. We have a large Tongan community here and would welcome those in need anytime.

Reactions: Lynne

I see this too. Thanks for the insight.