Ancient Greek gods

Consus

Reaction score
Do you think the ancient Greek gods actually existed in the sense of a human or celestial being? As an example the god Hermes could well be the scientist Hermes Trismegistus. Trismegistus is often depicted with the Caduceus. What do you think?

(Near his left hand)

I think they could have been humans or celestial observations. The ancients observed celestial body (i.e. sun, moon, planets, and stars) movements and cycles then wrote mythology inspired by them.

Reactions: Walking Goose
I think they were Gods. Our ancestors had been on this planet for millions of years and who knows what they knew and saw . We are relatively secure in our beliefs that there is nothing new under the sun other than our inventions. Ive read where our brains have changed over the thousand years or so and maybe we cant see or experience what they could? Also Ive read where the concept of compassion is relatively new to humans. I doubt that but some theorists say we have changed a lot lately. Well some of us have. I know Ive changed over the years. Im not the same as I was when I was 8. 15. 28.40. 60. on and on. Why not the whole species changing?

Reactions: Black Cloud
A species develops and changes in direct response to their environment. Where in a world like it was 20,000 years ago wound a small skinny and nearsighted nerd with a sky-high IQ fit... The would probably be a fast snack for a preditor or at the least not be very likely to pass on their genes. For that matter nowadays where does a big strong but not very smart person fit into our culture? They don't and live on welfare or in prisons after vomiting crimes. There are fewer and fewer jobs every year for people like that. As times change those best suited to the new reality become the top of the pile while those less suited slide to the bottom.

A species develops and changes in direct response to their environment. Where in a world like it was 20,000 years ago wound a small skinny and nearsighted nerd with a sky-high IQ fit... The would probably be a fast snack for a preditor or at the least not be very likely to pass on their genes. For that matter nowadays where does a big strong but not very smart person fit into our culture? They don't and live on welfare or in prisons after vomiting crimes. There are fewer and fewer jobs every year for people like that. As times change those best suited to the new reality become the top of the pile while those less suited slide to the bottom.
I agree . Until something changes the whole dynamic. Like an asteroid strike, a flood of biblical proportions, corona virus. some people are abe to connect with the other side. Some of us are hard wired different than others. I dont think its a mistake but like your explanation a way that Creator keeps making sure the people survive here on Earth. Just my thoughts

I agree . Until something changes the whole dynamic. Like an asteroid strike, a flood of biblical proportions, corona virus. some people are abe to connect with the other side. Some of us are hard wired different than others. I dont think its a mistake but like your explanation a way that Creator keeps making sure the people survive here on Earth. Just my thoughts
But do you think Hermes and Trismegistus are the same?

But do you think Hermes and Trismegistus are the same?
I would guess the hermetic community might or might not. I dont know if they are the same. I know the Romans had a habit of turning most all foreign Gods into a form they could use magically and devotion wise. I dont know. I think the beings may exist somewhere in the astral and are awakened by our attention. But do they have a consciousness of their own I think maybe yes but I dont know.Do you think Hermes is the most important or somehow a key to understanding the divine?If you can explain i would love to hear your opinion.

I would guess the hermetic community might or might not. I dont know if they are the same. I know the Romans had a habit of turning most all foreign Gods into a form they could use magically and devotion wise. I dont know. I think the beings may exist somewhere in the astral and are awakened by our attention. But do they have a consciousness of their own I think maybe yes but I dont know.Do you think Hermes is the most important or somehow a key to understanding the divine?If you can explain i would love to hear your opinion.
I think Hermes is indeed a kind of key to understanding the concept of god. I think he is the same as the god and that he shows that maybe a human could be a god. for why does a god have to be a heavenly being, if it can also be just an important person of ancient times? I think that gods are just like you and me.

Last edited:
I think Hermes is indeed a kind of key to understanding the concept of god. I think he is the same as the god and that he shows that maybe a human could be a god. for why does a god have to be a heavenly being, if it can also be just an important person of ancient times? I think that gods are just like you and me.
I agree that the idea makes a lot of sense. I guess it centers around the concept of what a God is. A god can create change in the world if it wishes or is appropriated correctly. Maybe it is just beings on the other side that have learned how to manipulate matter but that doesnt say that a god cant die or become meaningless. I had an old mentor who said if men are gods then please make a glass of water appear. Or make a mountain erupt. I agree that there are people who have capabilities that are unexplainable so maybe you are right. The whole concept of god is big that I think you are right about a lot of it. I just dont see that people if they are gods have the foresight to create or produce a world that is meaningful and not chaos. Why have some Gods from long ago survived in cult form and tribal religion to this day? I think a key maybe looking to the myths that the actual people have about the creation of the world and that surrond their diety. SOme are actual people who have been diefied as we do to saints today. I believe what you say has a lot of substance to it but then try to figure out who or waht created the worlds and then my little mind goes into pause mode.

I agree that the idea makes a lot of sense. I guess it centers around the concept of what a God is. A god can create change in the world if it wishes or is appropriated correctly. Maybe it is just beings on the other side that have learned how to manipulate matter but that doesnt say that a god cant die or become meaningless. I had an old mentor who said if men are gods then please make a glass of water appear. Or make a mountain erupt. I agree that there are people who have capabilities that are unexplainable so maybe you are right. The whole concept of god is big that I think you are right about a lot of it. I just dont see that people if they are gods have the foresight to create or produce a world that is meaningful and not chaos. Why have some Gods from long ago survived in cult form and tribal religion to this day? I think a key maybe looking to the myths that the actual people have about the creation of the world and that surrond their diety. SOme are actual people who have been diefied as we do to saints today. I believe what you say has a lot of substance to it but then try to figure out who or waht created the worlds and then my little mind goes into pause mode.
Personally, I think it doesn't matter that much whether the universe created itself, or whether a higher being (which must have been created by something) created the universe. There is a chance that we are the greatest specie ever created. So why shouldn't we take advantage of that? People are able to create and maybe even create life in good time. I suspect that the definition has been somewhat glorified over the years. Everyone could be / become a god, provided they are open to this. As long as your mind is different from others. Take a book, for example. the reader has no power, he is but an observer. But the author is different, he can change the future, decides about the way of things that are. If a person manages to get it done, to be the author, and draft a new chapter in human history, a chapter where humankind can be more than it is today, a chapter where just perhaps we can all still exist together.

Last edited: