Your Holiday Traditions

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
WHAT ARE YOUR HOLIDAY TRADITIONS? DO YOU EAT CERTAIN FOODS? OPEN YOUR GIFTS CHRISTMAS EVE OR CHRISTMAS DAY? OPEN THEM TOGETHER OR ONE PERSON AT A TIME? ATTEND CHURCH SERVICES? DRESS UP OR STAY IN JAMMIES?

15319067_1639693522802241_7368706451067022352_n.jpg

Now that the kids are grown, we open gifts Christmas Eve. This way no one has to wait for my coffee to kick in. :p We don't do "dinner", we do an appetizer buffet...cheeses, a few vegs to make it legal, bacon wrapped mini sausages, a killer crab dip, and usually a few other items that draw interest. Cookies are the dessert, and then we open our gifts. We rotate...one at a time and round the circle we go. We then usually watch It's a Wonderful Life and The Christmas Story.

Christmas day we do a regular Christmas dinner of ham, potatoes, some sort of fancied up veggie, rolls and deviled eggs. Later it's ham sandwiches. I will most likely bake a pie or two.

We also do another Christmas when Peoria kids come in. Sometimes it's before and sometimes it's after the day itself, but we always get a double dose of the Christmas spirit when the littles are here.

Reactions: Lynne
Our dinner is usually traditional turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans. Each of the girls cook something and bring over. The dinner day and opening gifts day varies each year because our family and extended family is in different places. We try to be flexible and rotate holidays so that all grandparents get to enjoy Christmas and Thanksgiving and Easter with their children and grandchildren. Of course, with modern technology, we can facetime one another. Its not the same as being there, but its the next best thing.

Reactions: Debi
Christmas Eve we get tog with my cousins on my dads side. They have included us in they're Christmas celebrations since my parents were married. We've never missed one that I can recall. We go to midnight church service afterward. Christnas day is for gift opening in the mid morning and then the big meal is about 1pm. We usually have ham and the usual fixings. Our family is small so it's not unusual to have an extra friend or two over for dinner. There always seems to be someone we know needing a place to be on the holidays. In the later afternoon it's sandwiches and a group game of some sort, trivia, cards, pictionary etc.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi