Your Dream Job....??

My dream job would be working for a wildlife sanctuary in Africa. Preferably on the security side of things and helping to protect the wildlife.

For many years, mainly driven by watching 'Whale Wars', I wanted to volunteer with the Sea Shepherds. I got all the paperwork from them, but it was unrealistic as I would have had to leave my wife, kids and job for months, so I never followed through with it.

In each case, once it became a job, it lost it's therapeutic value. It ceased to be enjoyable once I had to do it.
I agree, when I get someone wanting to pay for the pest control I look at the job differently and it loses something, also they expect me to remove a hundred rabbits when there are only 20 on the property.

I always thought it would be fun to make movies and TV shows. Growing up in Southern California I got a lot of the exposure to Hollywood and it's workings. It actually drives my wife crazy sometimes when we watch a movie and she asks me "What did you think? Did you like it?" Because I can go into detail about story structure, editing and pacing, cinematography, lighting, visual effects, musical score and lots of other minor details of how movies get made.

When I was about 4-5 years old my Mom had me in dance classes after school and had professional head shots done for me that she sent to film studios. Supposedly I got an offer to do some commercials but my Mom decided to turn it down. Some of my cousins did get to be in roles in TV and movies.

In highschool I was involved in the theater, I learned stage acting as well as costuming, set design and stage direction. I was involved in several highschool plays and musicals as well as going to theatre competitions. At one such competition I was approached privately by one of the competition judges who happened to be the head of admissions at a performing arts college and was wanting me to audition for their scholarship program. I know that some of my classmates did go on to have careers in the entertainment industry.

I also did volunteer work for a cable access station that was near the highschool. I did lighting, green screen effects, camera work and on a few occasions I actually got to act as the director. For a 17 year old kid that was pretty exciting. The studio manager liked me and said he wanted to rework the budget to hire me as an actual employee instead of just a volunteer, but couldn't swing it. As a consolation he offered to pull some strings with a few of his friends who worked in television. Unfortunately he didn't have that clout to get me to any of the big studios; NBC, ABC and CBS. But he could get me a job at a small, relatively new TV studio called FOX.

In the end however, for as much as I wanted to be in the scene, I left California. I got to see the glitz and glamor of Hollywood but I also saw it's underbelly. The gossiping, backstabbing, depression, drug use and general debauchery was not something I wanted to be around. Still, a part of me would love to be back in a position to put my ideas and visions on film for the entertainment of others.

SteveDog, great write up !
I understand what you were saying on a much smaller level. I took a film class in college and son of a gun , that really changed my perspective about how to watch a movie.

Lone Wolf, I'm sorry that psychology thing didn't work out for you. I wound up quitting right at the end. It just wasn't for me. And it's never too late to take it up again. One of my classmates was an old Jewish retired furier. Mid 70's. Interesting story. His son died and he came in to the school to get a shrink. Then he became a student and after that he became one of my professors. He never practiced but he was retired and had more money than God and just wanted to teach.

Does Guru count as a job...it's more of a calling. A writer ...I'm working on that.

• Haha
Reactions: Lynne and Debi
My dream was to be an aeronautical engineer and to at the very least play a part in going into space. I still believe that as long as the human species limits itself to living on this one rock that it is dest3ined to be just another almost made it species that got wiped out by natural forces. Sooner or later we will be hit with something that we won't survive. We turned out back on that hope and I lost interest in any further education.

I have had a career that I think best suited me. I made my own rules. I worked the hours that I preferred. I worked for people that I liked or I never worked for that person again. I made good money and liked what I did and many of my customers became my friends. I took special good care for older people and when I had nothing else to do I made rounds checking on them and drinking coffee and eating cookies.

There are a lot of lonely older people especially women that moved here with their husbands for his job career. When he passed they were left alone at a place where they had no family. They sometimes had friends but those friends were their age and many were in the same boat that they were in.

My parents were dead, I have no brothers or sisters and only distant cousins for family. those lonely people and I found in each other something that we needed. I never charged them for anything that I did that was outside of what I did for a business and even in those cases, my charge was in line with their ability to pay without straining their income. I got a lot of pleasure from these people and while I never got rich I had a good time and was and still am happy with my choices and life as an adult. I think that in the end, I got a lot more out of life than I would have even if I had gone to space...

Reactions: Lynne
My dream was to be an aeronautical engineer and to at the very least play a part in going into space. I still believe that as long as the human species limits itself to living on this one rock that it is dest3ined to be just another almost made it species that got wiped out by natural forces. Sooner or later we will be hit with something that we won't survive. We turned out back on that hope and I lost interest in any further education.

I have had a career that I think best suited me. I made my own rules. I worked the hours that I preferred. I worked for people that I liked or I never worked for that person again. I made good money and liked what I did and many of my customers became my friends. I took special good care for older people and when I had nothing else to do I made rounds checking on them and drinking coffee and eating cookies.

There are a lot of lonely older people especially women that moved here with their husbands for his job career. When he passed they were left alone at a place where they had no family. They sometimes had friends but those friends were their age and many were in the same boat that they were in.

My parents were dead, I have no brothers or sisters and only distant cousins for family. those lonely people and I found in each other something that we needed. I never charged them for anything that I did that was outside of what I did for a business and even in those cases, my charge was in line with their ability to pay without straining their income. I got a lot of pleasure from these people and while I never got rich I had a good time and was and still am happy with my choices and life as an adult. I think that in the end, I got a lot more out of life than I would have even if I had gone to space...
Beautiful Tex