What movie...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
366102221_679620327544871_662699580138059515_n.jpg

We'll even include the 60's.

Is there a remake of an old movie you like better than the original?

I'm not sure any of the old classic horror movies would translate well to new interpretations. At least not for us who have watched them so many times! The only one I can say did do a decent job of it may be The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves. That one was OK, but still didn't have the same impact as the much simpler made original.

Bram stokers Dracula was good, again with Keanu Reeves...maybe he is good luck for remakes...lol.... i thought it was one of the better of all the dracula type stories/retellings...it followed the novel for the most part pretty well. the wolfman remake was good up to the last quarter of the film where it took a turn or modern twist that just (for me ) didnt fit well...... i always wanted to see a remake of "the creature from the black lagoon", but only if it stayed in line with the original, with few modern changes to the creature

Bram stokers Dracula was good, again with Keanu Reeves...maybe he is good luck for remakes...lol.... i thought it was one of the better of all the dracula type stories/retellings...it followed the novel for the most part pretty well. the wolfman remake was good up to the last quarter of the film where it took a turn or modern twist that just (for me ) didnt fit well...... i always wanted to see a remake of "the creature from the black lagoon", but only if it stayed in line with the original, with few modern changes to the creature
I have not seen Dracula, but I do love Keanu so may have to put it on my list.

I agree...The Creature could use a bit of an update. Although the guy who did the work in the suit did an amazing job on the original.

A 70's movie but Night of the Lepus, about giant rabbits. I'd like to star in the remake with giant Jack Russells and giant ferrets to get rid of the rodents, lol. I think I'd need a chainmail suit to handle the ferrets, lol. I thought War of the Worlds was better in it's new form, even with Tom Cruise in it, lol. I did think Tom was good in this as in a few of his movies.

This is a tough one because remakes typically don't work unless they can significantly add to or improve on the original. So any movie I really like I also feel shouldn't be remade and movies that would benefit from a remake may not have been all that great to begin with. It's a fine line of trying to find a movie that was almost good but not quite.

When I first saw the miniseries Band of Brothers I thought it would be great to redo The Great Escape in a similar way. Stretch the story out to 8 or 10 episodes and include actual interviews or pictures of the people and the location. However, the more I thought about the more I thought the original film is too good to try and remake.

I have also thought a remake could be done of Fantasic Voyage. We have updated visual effects and a better understanding of how the inside of how a human body looks and functions. The original is still a good movie and I'm sure that there are people in modern Hollywood who would try to turn it into some weird over the top scifi franchise, like a mix between Independence Day and Fast & Furious. And that wouldn't be good. If it were done right, kept as a Sci fi drama then I think this would work.

As I was thinking about this I remembered The Sons of Katie Elder. That was a good movie, with a somewhat relatable and timeless plot. A remake could work well with this film, if need be you could even take out the Western theme and put it in a different setting or Era. Yes that could actually work, except I'm pretty sure we already have that movie, it’s called Four Brother staring Mark Wahlberg. If you are a fan of one but never seen the other then it's worth checking out. If you've never seen either they a both good movies, just don't watch them back to back because they are basically the same story.

W_1487_.jpg
Many film buffs consider "Witness for the Prosecution" to be the best movie of the 1950s. It's certainly in my top ten movies ever, amazing star power and a good supporting cast of veteran character actors. At least a couple remakes have been done, as well as the plot line used in various episodic TV series.

Casting the three main stars would be a challenge. I think Sandra Bullock playing the Dietrich role would work, and maybe DiCaprio in the Power role. Dreyfuss seems a natural to take the Laughton role, but Ton Hanks would be good as well.

This guy loved Short Circuit so much he built his own working Johnny 5! I don't think a remake would do it justice, but this goes to show you how one movie can still be loved years later.