What Does a Collapse Look Like? (Part 2)

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
(Continued)

Food. Readers of this blog have read “299 Days” and understand the concept of “just-in-time inventory.” Of course vendors and grocery stores will order extra food and supplies to stock their shelves, right? You sure about that? I’m not. Will the prices be the same as they are right now as I write this blog? I guaran-darn-tee you they will be price gouged; just like in a collapse. And if more food is needed, it must travel up or down I-5, which will be gridlocked for days. Up to a million people are coming up and down that freeway pretty much at once.

The power grid and local utilities can handle the almost-double demand of power that will be experienced for several days, right? Right? What if the power goes out? What if cell towers can’t handle the load? Just like in a collapse.

Now let’s get serious for a moment. Let’s shake the crystal ball and put a scenario into play. What if there were a fire emergency in West Salem, on Sunday afternoon of August 20th. It can happen. Salem gets rural once you cross over a bridge into West Salem. It’s dry this time of year. First responders will easily go over the pedestrian bridge they have designated for themselves. Then the people start mingling that night, they cross the lines and try to get over the bridge by foot, and then there is a major car pileup on I-5, on the east side of the bridge in the heart of Salem. Those same first responders now must navigate back over the bridge. And what if the power goes out during one of these emergencies? It could happen. Easily.

What if that power outage lasts all night on a hot summer’s night? This has been known to happen. An immense population of people in an unfamiliar city will now want to find a way to stay cool in their now-hot hotel rooms in an unfamiliar city. Ice at grocery stores has been sold out for hours. Stores are closing their doors to avoid crime and looting.

What happens when babies start crying because they are hot? Children are upset because they are hungry and McDonalds is closed. Restaurants closed when the power wasn’t coming back on quickly.

Cell phones start to die as people try to text loved ones elsewhere telling them what is happening. There’s no where to charge their phones.

People flood the footbridge and the two vehicle bridges in Salem attempting to walk to their hotels, not realizing their plastic key won’t allow them in their room at their hotel because the power is out. A little bit of panic starts to fill the air as the sun starts to set and people are not in the safe place they thought they would be for the night.

Families on the elevators when the power went out are sitting and wondering how long before someone helps them. The emergency button is working, but no one is coming. Emergency help is elsewhere. Well, it is on the other side of that pedestrian bridge and is helping a couple hundred thousand other people.

Toilets start to back up. Hospitals are using backup power.

At around 3 AM, the power comes back on. It is a welcome sight as streetlights flicker on after the descending dark. People start making their way back to cars and hotel rooms any way they can.

Slowly, air conditioning starts to kick on everywhere. Because of the large demand caused by AC units, there is intermittent power outages over Salem through the rest of the night. No one seems to mind because street lights work for the most part.

As the early morning wears on, people start to laugh a bit about the panic the night before. Children are cranky and whimpering. Parents console, feed and hush them.

By the time the eclipse comes around, the adventures of the previous night fade into memory. Everyone is outside watching solar eclipse.

Not realizing they just saw a preview of a collapse.

(Continued)

Food. Readers of this blog have read “299 Days” and understand the concept of “just-in-time inventory.” Of course vendors and grocery stores will order extra food and supplies to stock their shelves, right? You sure about that? I’m not. Will the prices be the same as they are right now as I write this blog? I guaran-darn-tee you they will be price gouged; just like in a collapse. And if more food is needed, it must travel up or down I-5, which will be gridlocked for days. Up to a million people are coming up and down that freeway pretty much at once.

The power grid and local utilities can handle the almost-double demand of power that will be experienced for several days, right? Right? What if the power goes out? What if cell towers can’t handle the load? Just like in a collapse.

Now let’s get serious for a moment. Let’s shake the crystal ball and put a scenario into play. What if there were a fire emergency in West Salem, on Sunday afternoon of August 20th. It can happen. Salem gets rural once you cross over a bridge into West Salem. It’s dry this time of year. First responders will easily go over the pedestrian bridge they have designated for themselves. Then the people start mingling that night, they cross the lines and try to get over the bridge by foot, and then there is a major car pileup on I-5, on the east side of the bridge in the heart of Salem. Those same first responders now must navigate back over the bridge. And what if the power goes out during one of these emergencies? It could happen. Easily.

What if that power outage lasts all night on a hot summer’s night? This has been known to happen. An immense population of people in an unfamiliar city will now want to find a way to stay cool in their now-hot hotel rooms in an unfamiliar city. Ice at grocery stores has been sold out for hours. Stores are closing their doors to avoid crime and looting.

What happens when babies start crying because they are hot? Children are upset because they are hungry and McDonalds is closed. Restaurants closed when the power wasn’t coming back on quickly.

Cell phones start to die as people try to text loved ones elsewhere telling them what is happening. There’s no where to charge their phones.

People flood the footbridge and the two vehicle bridges in Salem attempting to walk to their hotels, not realizing their plastic key won’t allow them in their room at their hotel because the power is out. A little bit of panic starts to fill the air as the sun starts to set and people are not in the safe place they thought they would be for the night.

Families on the elevators when the power went out are sitting and wondering how long before someone helps them. The emergency button is working, but no one is coming. Emergency help is elsewhere. Well, it is on the other side of that pedestrian bridge and is helping a couple hundred thousand other people.

Toilets start to back up. Hospitals are using backup power.

At around 3 AM, the power comes back on. It is a welcome sight as streetlights flicker on after the descending dark. People start making their way back to cars and hotel rooms any way they can.

Slowly, air conditioning starts to kick on everywhere. Because of the large demand caused by AC units, there is intermittent power outages over Salem through the rest of the night. No one seems to mind because street lights work for the most part.

As the early morning wears on, people start to laugh a bit about the panic the night before. Children are cranky and whimpering. Parents console, feed and hush them.

By the time the eclipse comes around, the adventures of the previous night fade into memory. Everyone is outside watching solar eclipse.

Not realizing they just saw a preview of a collapse.
Not a fun thing to think about, mainly because it's so likely to happen on a large scale at some point.

Just my 2 cents, I like your first plan, Sea. Get there early & stay late to avoid the traffic. You can take care of yourself & yours. This to me looks like an infrastructure and geography problem, they are always hassles. What may be the bugaboo in all of this is local authorities not having experience in crowd control in what is a once in a lifetime event. Also, the people going to this event may have likely never have been to something this massive, and they may unkowingly cause problems.So it cuts both ways.
(On the other hand, Chicago does this very well because 2 million people show up for work every day. Or entertainment events all over the place.) That, and price gouging is normal operating procedure at every event.:p:(
Last week I bought a $7 Pepsi. So if a profit is to be had, I'll trust that groceries, gas,& those groovy glow sticks will be stacked up, and not run out.
Great think piece. I think this author was on C2C recently.

Reactions: Lynne and Seahunter
Just my 2 cents, I like your first plan, Sea. Get there early & stay late to avoid the traffic. You can take care of yourself & yours. This to me looks like an infrastructure and geography problem, they are always hassles. What may be the bugaboo in all of this is local authorities not having experience in crowd control in what is a once in a lifetime event. Also, the people going to this event may have likely never have been to something this massive, and they may unkowingly cause problems.So it cuts both ways.
(On the other hand, Chicago does this very well because 2 million people show up for work every day. Or entertainment events all over the place.) That, and price gouging is normal operating procedure at every event.:p:(
Last week I bought a $7 Pepsi. So if a profit is to be had, I'll trust that groceries, gas,& those groovy glow sticks will be stacked up, and not run out.
Great think piece. I think this author was on C2C recently.
Thanks, Paint. Good points. Yes, there would be a clear advantage to a place like Chicago with the experience to handle events on a large scale. Everything surrounding Salem is rural, so even if they could handle it in Salem, all the other areas could still be chaos. Yes on people unknowingly causing problems, and even worse, I think panic could be a huge issue. Once that begins, it spreads like wildfire. Still haven't decided for sure, but I'm actually leaning toward staying clear. I know some people in government, one person said cities even clear up by Portland may close down because of all the traffic coming in on the major interstates. Portland was NOT designed for growth, so there are many major choke points. Also, two major rivers in the area, with the bridges an issue.

Reactions: Paintman
So a collapse is not a giant hole swolloeing the city but a service overload? I think Sea you are smart enough to handle most situations.

I hate crowds and that would be enough for me to watch from tv.

So a collapse is not a giant hole swolloeing the city but a service overload? I think Sea you are smart enough to handle most situations.

I hate crowds and that would be enough for me to watch from tv.
Correct, just a breakdown of services, shortages of food and water, people panicking, etc.

The crowds would definitely be scary!

Reactions: NobleHouse