Way back TV

Everything else you mentioned apart from Benny Hill was actually pretty good. I liked Ab Fab and Fawlty Towers and loved Dr. Who when I was little (the original ones you mentioned) and although I was never really a fan of Monty Python, I realise they broke new ground and were incredibly influential. But Benny Hill...if there was a facepalm emjoji I'd be using it...
Two series I really enjoyed while in the UK were "Saxondale" and "Father Ted." Both are fairly modern, late 90s/early 2000s, I think. Another program I saw only a couple episodes of about the same time was "Goodness Gracious Me." I thought it was a hoot, but a couple ethnic Indian Brits I worked with weren't amused.

Two series I really enjoyed while in the UK were "Saxondale" and "Father Ted." Both are fairly modern, late 90s/early 2000s, I think. Another program I saw only a couple episodes of about the same time was "Goodness Gracious Me." I thought it was a hoot, but a couple ethnic Indian Brits I worked with weren't amused.
I love Father Ted - it's hilarous! I've never heard of Saxondale, though. I just looked it up and saw that Steve Coogan and Greg Davies are in it - both very well known comedians over here. I'll have to watch a couple of episodes - thanks Duke!

I liked Goodness Gracious Me too and I think it was very popular here. I only ever saw a few minutes of it, though.

I love Father Ted - it's hilarous! I've never heard of Saxondale, though. I just looked it up and saw that Steve Coogan and Greg Davies are in it - both very well known comedians over here. I'll have to watch a couple of episodes - thanks Duke!

I liked Goodness Gracious Me too and I think it was very popular here. I only ever saw a few minutes of it, though.
I loved Pauline McLynn, the Irish actress who played Father Ted's housekeeper, Mrs Doyle. I think I actually met her in a Dublin pub when she was a student while I was on holiday in 1982. I was smitten, but got the impression crazy, long haired American engineers were not her cup of tea.:hearteyes: When I saw my first episode of Father Ted in the late 90s, I was immediately reminded of the girl in Dublin. I'd bet it was her.

For those unfamiliar with Father Ted/Mrs Doyle, here's my favorite all time scene from the series.

*Warning--Coarse Language*

Who wouldn't love a roo that can fly a helicopter.
That was the best episode, lol. It was a strange show with tribes of indigenous people unknown to the outside World living on the outskirts of Sydney. I can imagine what the rest of the World thought of Oz back then, lol.

I loved Pauline McLynn, the Irish actress who played Father Ted's housekeeper, Mrs Doyle. I think I actually met her in a Dublin pub when she was a student while I was on holiday in 1982. I was smitten, but got the impression crazy, long haired American engineers were not her cup of tea.:hearteyes: When I saw my first episode of Father Ted in the late 90s, I was immediately reminded of the girl in Dublin. I'd bet it was her.

For those unfamiliar with Father Ted/Mrs Doyle, here's my favorite all time scene from the series.

*Warning--Coarse Language*

She's priceless, isn't she? You picked a great clip - I'd forgotten that one! You might very well have seen her in the pub. I love Dougal too, especially when he's struggling with the idea of perspective: "These ones are small. And those are faaarrrr away..." I'll see if I can find it...

There was a kids TV show from Australia that I loved too. Oz, you may know it. I think it was called Round the Twist (or similar) and was about a family who lived in a lighthouse and were always having quirky little adventures.

Reactions: garnetsilver