Using voice recorders for EVP

Charleh

Please insert coffee
Reaction score
So I’ve been interested in trying evp next time I or someone I know is having possibly paranormal encounters. Currently I own an Olympus Note Coffee DP-311 recorder. Looks like a white brick but set me back 50 bucks.

I heard someone mention that some of the best evp recorders have been certain models that have been known for having defective RF shielding of some sorts. Does anyone here know how to either remove or render this shielding useless? I’m just gonna make the assumption that this will help the recorder pick up more atmospheric interference.

Or should I focus on creating some external fix, like a mic with a lot of wiring in hopes to pick up more interference?

Reactions: Lynne
Spectre will no doubt have advice on this. I will be waiting to hear your results.

try the voice recorder on your cell phone, or download a recorder app, I don't think they have any type shielding with them....may not be ideal but is another tool to try along with an actual recorder.
but of course, I don't try to find ghosts so I could be completely off base....lol

try the voice recorder on your cell phone, or download a recorder app, I don't think they have any type shielding with them....may not be ideal but is another tool to try along with an actual recorder.
but of course, I don't try to find ghosts so I could be completely off base....lol
Good advice Paulm. I don’t look either lol. But I’m a sucker to hear what other brave souls find :D

Reactions: Charleh and Paulm
Good advice Paulm. I don’t look either lol. But I’m a sucker to hear what other brave souls find :D
It’s not bravery. It’s wanting to hit the issue between the ears after dealing with it for years :p

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
Maybe. But it’s gotta be a legit recorder app. Not those ghost apps that are known to put in random words and sentences to mess with customers. I’ll try it next time if battery life permits

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
Hey Charleh......that Olympus sounds like a nice recorder. I think I've heard of this but I've never heard of anyone purposely looking for models with faulty shielding. That actually sounds like a great experiment to try...one with perfect shielding and one without. My opinion though, is that you may not want a recorder with faulty or disabled shielding. You want to try to eliminate any outside interference as much as possible. I know many skeptics immediately blame captured evp on accidental stray radio frequencies being picked up. This is why many researchers build or buy faraday cages for their recorders. I think as long as it's a good stereo recorder you should be golden. I've played with many settings before and I know that if it's got a high quality setting definitely use it. Sometimes it will make your files larger, but higher quality settings tend to amplify your recording input thus increasing your frequency range.

Just my two cents though...........I like you, your definitely thinking outside the box!