Urban Myths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
The term urban myth is described in wiki as:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_legend

An urban legend, urban myth, urban tale, or contemporary legend, is a form of modern folklore consisting of stories that may or may not have been believed by their tellers to be true, and often possess horror implications that are believable to their audience.

Through the years, most of us heave heard and maybe believed one or more urban myths. Where do these stories come from? Are they made up and perpetuated or are they based in real events? To this day, if a car is driving at night towards me and does not have its headlights on, I am afraid to flash them because of the urban myth that if you do this, the driver of the other car may be a gang member and part of the initiation into the gang involves killing anyone who flashes their lights at you while you drive with your lights off. I know, it's stupid. But I still don't flash others to let them know others can't see them on the road.

What urban myths have you heard and which ones do you think are true?

http://urbanlegends.about.com/

These are the stories of every slumber party ever held! lol Including the Bloody Mary legend. I can remember trying this and we all freaked ourselves out every time we did it. :eek::p

I think most of the stories may have a kernel of a truthful event in them that got exaggerated each time it got told...something like the game of "telephone". Perhaps there was a "Bloody Mary", and the tale began to form and grow around a certain event involving her.
Interestingly, sometimes the "belief" in a non-factual legend can build a tulpa or poltergeist....a thought form that takes shape and becomes a living energy.

Slenderman appears to be the latest urban legend that has actually taken on a life of it's own. It may not have "manifested" in a physical sense, but it's impact from a thought form energy can be seen by these young children who murder in his name.

Reactions: Laura and surge
These are the stories of every slumber party ever held! lol Including the Bloody Mary legend. I can remember trying this and we all freaked ourselves out every time we did it. :eek::p
So what happened when you said her name 3x's while spinning in a circle?

So what happened when you said her name 3x's while spinning in a circle?
I got dizzy! :p The worst time was when we knocked over the candle, but in the process caught my hair on fire! Got a little singed. ;)

Reactions: sal
I got dizzy! :p The worst time was when we knocked over the candle, but in the process caught my hair on fire! Got a little singed. ;)
OMG! :eek: Now I'm almost glad my parents didn't let me go to slumber parties!

OMG! :eek: Now I'm almost glad my parents didn't let me go to slumber parties!
Awwww!!! No slumber parties??? Heck, I always had a massive slumber party on my birthday each year! LOL We always did the Bloody Mary thing, told ghost stories and my mom made homemade pizza's for us. When I turned 16, it was quite the "event", as we switched over to Ouija boards and seances...during which my best friend and I ended up channeling for the first time. (She's now a nun....hmmm...should ask her if that played a part in that decision! :p) There were usually six of us and we all looked forward to the "event" each year. One of the other girls always held a Halloween party each year that usually ended up a sleep over for the girls as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.