Time can go faster or slower depending on gravity

Taliesin

Reaction score
Website
www.techstuffonly.com
I wonder if the differences between measurements of time, and our perceptions of time are (for example, you feel like it should be a certain time, and the clock shows it is much different than how you perceived it to be) because of fluctuations with the intensity of gravity.

It's a fact of physics that gravity distorts and warps time. For example, if you put a clock on the top of a tower, and one on the bottom, even if they were synced in the beginning, they'll start to drift further away as "time" goes on.

Stephen Hawking talked about this on page 43 in "A Brief History of Time". He says, "Another prediction of general relativity is that time should appear to run slower near a massive body like the earth". I personally argue that Earth should be capitalized out of respect and honor for our great mother planet, and I further argue that there should be no "the" before Earth. Earth is the name of our planet. We don't refer to "the Mars", or "the Jupiter", or "the Saturn", but I digress.

He also goes on to say, "This prediction was tested in 1962, using a pair of very accurate clocks mounted at the top and bottom of a water tower (Fig. 2.17). The clock at the bottom, which was nearer the earth, was found to run slower, in exact agreement with general relativity."

So then the next question becomes, does the intensity of gravity change? The answer is yes.

Does gravity vary across the surface of the Earth? (Intermediate) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

The astronomer was writing for a casual audience and leaves out the fact that lava and magma flow underneath us, changing the mass below us. This would result in a change of gravity, but it would be so slight that only advanced scientific instruments could detect it.

Now, another thing I wonder about here, is this: What if technology existed to alter gravity? This would change our perception of time, if indeed, gravity was changed.

What am I getting at here? That corporations could draw time out longer during work hours so that they could gain more production, and therefore more money.

Last edited:
Very interesting! Dear heavens...an eight hour shift could go on forever....not a great thought. Did they not just find some new info on gravitational waves recently? Seems to me I read that recently.

Reactions: Paintman
Very interesting! Dear heavens...an eight hour shift could go on forever....not a great thought. Did they not just find some new info on gravitational waves recently? Seems to me I read that recently.
I heard about that, too. I haven't read much about it, though. I need to.

There are a few more out there on it, but I just haven't had time to snag them yet.

Reactions: Taliesin
Another reason to hate work.

Ok if we expierence time at a slower rate does the aging process slow too? Or speed up if time is perceived faster? What is the physical effect?

Another reason to hate work.

Ok if we expierence time at a slower rate does the aging process slow too? Or speed up if time is perceived faster? What is the physical effect?
I've always wondered that as well. I personally think that this adds a little bit of credibility to the Moses story...he would have aged faster up on the mountain than the people down below...but I don't think he would have been THAT much older. I have a friend who lives in Colorado. Their elevation is much higher than Iowa. Whenever I see him, he looks proportionately the same age as me.

Organisms rely on chemical reactions inside their cells. I wonder how gravity would affect chemical reactions. I'll ask my general chemistry instructor from 2015. He has a Ph.D. in chemistry.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi
I've always wondered that as well. I personally think that this adds a little bit of credibility to the Moses story...he would have aged faster up on the mountain than the people down below...but I don't think he would have been THAT much older. I have a friend who lives in Colorado. Their elevation is much higher than Iowa. Whenever I see him, he looks proportionately the same age as me.

Organisms rely on chemical reactions inside their cells. I wonder how gravity would affect chemical reactions. I'll ask my general chemistry instructor from 2015. He has a Ph.D. in chemistry.
Two observations here. As a baby boomer, I can tell you that as you get older, time seems to speed up. Is that simply our perception or perspective of more time behind us than before us?

Second, as a medical profession, and one who has had to take some serious narcotics due to a medical condition, "time" is perceived much differently while under that influence. Time is still flowing, however, our perception of it can be skewed while under the influence. What seems a short time can often be hours. The body still ages normally, but the mind is still in the "old" time period.

A coma patient who has been under for 10 years, still awakens with the mind set of being back in their own perception of time, not in the current time, although the body has aged, many times the cells haven't had the same "wear and tear" so it hasn't aged as much. The physical body "in time" seems to have many strange outcomes to time itself.

Reactions: Taliesin