Thornborough Henges.

Archaeoastronomer

Reaction score
Hi all, Thornborough Henges, mostly all archaeoastronomers agree that these henges were aligned to The Belt of Orion on the Winter Solstice, which is interesting:-

Thornborough - Orion Alignment​

The three prehistoric henges at Thornborough align almost perfectly with the three stars of Orion's Belt, when viewed in the direction of the midwinter sunset on the Winter Solstice, at the time of their construction, 5,000-years-ago.

orion-henges-1x.png

About Beltane, Thornborough Henge and the Goddess Brigantia
I have tested this by astronomy, tomorrow i will write more.

Thornborough Henges were constructed in approx. 3000 BC involving the Winter Solstice, however the date of 21st December would have slipped using the Proleptic Julian Calender to 12th January, below the quote explains up to 2,500 BC when it had slipped to 9th January:-
"So, for example, were we sitting at Bookan at midwinter 2500BC (which by our calendar would be January 9), Orion’s belt would appear above the south-eastern horizon, in the gap between the Firth and Orphir hills, around 4.30pm. Orion’s rising would be followed shortly afterwards by the appearance of the star Sirius, one of the brightest objects in the night sky."
So to look at the area of Thornborough Henge near Masham, UK, at the Winter Solstice on 12th January 3000 BC as the Sun set, the Belt of Orion was rising. link to graph below:-

This is very interesting as not only are the three henges shaped like the Belt of Orion, they are aligned to them, using the Winter Solstice could signify the death and rebirth of a god in beliefs!
It is also a rough way to keep track of the seasons, Maeshowe cairn did this a different way by sunset on the Winter Solstice.
Ancient people used either sunrise or sunset as the marker, Jews, Muslims still use previous sunset for day start, the Florentine Calendar will explain:-
Maeshowe Chambered Cairn, Orkney | 3D Scanning

Reactions: Selectric
888c732bf361a9d62bf58872f7b4c7b9b4e6e89442530e3bd72310ca6a3e4053_1.jpg

On the Winter Solstice, The rising Sun shines inside the doorway of Newgrange, as the Sun sets the Belt of Orion rises as it is within half a degree of Latitude of Thornborough Henge.
Newgrange has an open roof box, which we think was for viewing the other star on the Winter Solstice that i study being Sirius, please view youtube below:-

Hi Archie, I hope the new place is working out for you. I have always wondered what the real purpose of the New Grange Hinge was for, it seems like a huge creation to be just a tomb. Do you have a theory?

Hi Lynne,
The ancients were very clever, my favorite Greek philosopher was Eratosthenes:-
Many reasons why Newgrange wasn't just a tomb but agricultural, and having a calendar.
The Sun doesn't move along the horizon near Winter Solstice and appears to stand still and rise and set at same place for approx period of ten days, so will shine into the tomb for that time.
If we chose the 5th day it would show the Winter Solstice, a time of the death of many gods but also a time of renewal when the days got longer.
It seems they could count, and would have had a working calendar!

Reactions: Lynne
Hi Lynne,
The ancients were very clever, my favorite Greek philosopher was Eratosthenes:-
Many reasons why Newgrange wasn't just a tomb but agricultural, and having a calendar.
The Sun doesn't move along the horizon near Winter Solstice and appears to stand still and rise and set at same place for approx period of ten days, so will shine into the tomb for that time.
If we chose the 5th day it would show the Winter Solstice, a time of the death of many gods but also a time of renewal when the days got longer.
It seems they could count, and would have had a working calendar!
Thank You, this makes much more sense. I wonder why it had to be built so big?

Reactions: Archaeoastronomer
When you look at ancient monuments, they were built big, think of pyramids, it was a tribe thing, ego of leaving culture of past times.
I feel ancients were able to sail across the sea to effect other cultures, the video below when it first came out, did have a lot more to say about cocaine mummies, that now seems to be cut out for some reason!

Reactions: Lynne