The New Science of Meditation

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Reactions: Paulm
good articles, the first one with its explanation of the two paths meditation has taken in the western world brings up a good point, something not thought about when discussing this topic. we dont, or we rarely consider how others view meditation, especially in a forum type conversation or posting. those who have had some type of training or guidance know what meditation is and how to practice at all times, how to be "in the moment" when need be and how to try to incorporate that into their daily lives at all times. while those who are not only think of the stress relief or relaxation part of it....it is soooo much more involved and in depth.... like other things where a guide is needed, or at least useful to navigate at a more destined rate..... so much is now left out of teachings, whether for our own comfort, time restraints, dedication, etc..... that we get the watered down version or as it labled the mcmeditation.....sad

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
good articles, the first one with its explanation of the two paths meditation has taken in the western world brings up a good point, something not thought about when discussing this topic. we dont, or we rarely consider how others view meditation, especially in a forum type conversation or posting. those who have had some type of training or guidance know what meditation is and how to practice at all times, how to be "in the moment" when need be and how to try to incorporate that into their daily lives at all times. while those who are not only think of the stress relief or relaxation part of it....it is soooo much more involved and in depth.... like other things where a guide is needed, or at least useful to navigate at a more destined rate..... so much is now left out of teachings, whether for our own comfort, time restraints, dedication, etc..... that we get the watered down version or as it labled the mcmeditation.....sad
I kind of got bogged down in the length of the first article, maybe I am getting tired eyes. I have tried meditation but haven't had the patientience to clear my thoughts, however I think a single focus makes it possible which happens in prayer. I love your comment about mindfulness and being "in the moment". I have discovered that when I feel malaise or depression effecting my mood the only thing that helps is making myself concentrate on the present and living in the moment. Looking forward or backward too long will surly bring on anxiety. Focusing on the present is the advice that works for me.

Reactions: Paulm