The Ethics of Medicine are changing

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Nevada patients offered suicide pills instead of treament | Daily Mail Online

You can read this story for yourself and see what I have already witnessed first hand and recently spoke with a few trauma docs about. They admit that this is being pushed as the "alternative" plan of care. What used to be the last choice is now becoming a first choice in the health care field. It's cheaper to offer someone euthansasia than it is to treat them. Or in our case, simply non treatment.

When hubs was in the ICU, two docs approached him on day #2. He was under MAJOR narcotics, and his reasoning skills were out the window. They said there might come the need to put him on a vent to get him through to surgery, and they couldn't say if the surgery would work. However, he could always choose to not do the vent and eventually his blood gasses would simply get so high he'd "peacefully" just drift off and it would be over.

Now, this is exactly what was said, in that lovely gentle tone that can be used to push an outcome. My husband, not knowing that there was hope, only that he was in pain, initially agreed to that strategy. Until my son and I spoke up and said hell no.

What do you think about this new trend of non-treatment or Euthansasia as a first "treatment" plan?

I am not against this offering by the medical community, but a discussion between loved ones needs to happen before anyone is in this position. Clearly anyone in ANY kind of pain, may opt for the pill. They just want to stop the pain. Someone of right mind needs to make the decision for the patient, again, based on previous discussions. Shame on the medical staff for asking the patient and not the patient's family.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Advanced directives...very important for people in such a situation. If they are so drugged up, they can't make the decision for themselves.

These things are being pushed by the government to lower the costs on Medicaid and Medicare recipients...and the other insurance companies are snuggled up to the legislature and the docs. The quicker they are 'gone' from the system, the less cost in long term care.

A convenient fix to offset the medical expenses of baby boomers. Carried over to the following generations as well. So we have twenty five years olds getting 'gentle pushes' too.

Say hello to the ultimate plan of population reduction. If it starts in such an 'advanced' country such as ours...pretty darn easy for a domino effect around the world.

Reactions: Paintman
Nevada patients offered suicide pills instead of treament | Daily Mail Online

You can read this story for yourself and see what I have already witnessed first hand and recently spoke with a few trauma docs about. They admit that this is being pushed as the "alternative" plan of care. What used to be the last choice is now becoming a first choice in the health care field. It's cheaper to offer someone euthansasia than it is to treat them. Or in our case, simply non treatment.

When hubs was in the ICU, two docs approached him on day #2. He was under MAJOR narcotics, and his reasoning skills were out the window. They said there might come the need to put him on a vent to get him through to surgery, and they couldn't say if the surgery would work. However, he could always choose to not do the vent and eventually his blood gasses would simply get so high he'd "peacefully" just drift off and it would be over.

Now, this is exactly what was said, in that lovely gentle tone that can be used to push an outcome. My husband, not knowing that there was hope, only that he was in pain, initially agreed to that strategy. Until my son and I spoke up and said hell no.

What do you think about this new trend of non-treatment or Euthansasia as a first "treatment" plan?
A doctor takes an oath to do no harm. Despite what the law says, it's never ok for someone to recommend suicide, even to someone on their death bed.

If I asked someone if they wanted to take a pill to end their life, I'd be charged with manslaughter.

In order for euthanasia to be eithical, the patient has to be the one bringing it up, and them administering it themselves. You hand them the pill/IV/glass of poison, and they alone can administered to themselves. And from the sounds of it the patient was already too drugged up to make an informed decision.

Just sounds like the doctors didn't want to deal with them.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi