The Eclipse Thread

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Eclipse_w_boy.jpg

Weird things that happen during a total solar eclipse -- Sott.net

I'm sending you straight over the link for this one. Worth the read. Many things I didn't know and fascinating!

I would like to get a good picture of the eclipse.....I don't have the filters or lenses to shoot a close up. So, any picture will probably be a superwide angle of people looking at the eclipse (where I'm going to find that in Monroe County, WV, I have no idea). I have a 21mm lens for my Leica M film camera, but that won't work, since the sun, even in eclipse, will burn a hole in the cloth focal plane shutter. A better option is probably a 10-24mm zoom on one of my Fuji mirrorless cameras, on a tripod. I won't need a filter, since the exposure will be fairly short, and including people and background, if possible. This would be an easy shot in a populated area, where people will be gathering with special glaases, and the like. It's going to be a challenge here in the boonies. Wish me luck. I expect that my twin bother in Makanda, Illinois, will get some good shots, since Makanda has been touted as the best place in the country to see the eclipse. It's a community of about 500 folks, which is expected to see an influx of tens of thousands of people over the next few days. My hometown, Benton, KY, right in the path of the eclipse, is expected to be overrun, too. Wish I could be there for the fun and pictures.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7Critter
I hope that you and brother Bell get the pictures that you want. I am going to be focussing on the Earth and it's creatures to see if I spot anything unusual as pointed out in the post #1 article.

I wonder how many will be singing this song as they Hope and pray that indeed the sun will return from it's hidden state:

Reactions: Lynne
I guess I need to get my special glasses

Oregon is already experiencing the impact of the people. In eastern Oregon, there was a 30 MILE traffic backup trying to get to a "party" area for the eclipse. They had to close the road. The local McDonald's ran out of food in one day. The stores are all out of food. The gas stations are out of gas. Truckers are all pulled from driving in Oregon at least on the day of the eclipse. The Portland airport, about 40 miles from Salem (the better viewing city nearest Portland) is out of rental cars.

Oregon is already experiencing the impact of the people. In eastern Oregon, there was a 30 MILE traffic backup trying to get to a "party" area for the eclipse. They had to close the road. The local McDonald's ran out of food in one day. The stores are all out of food. The gas stations are out of gas. Truckers are all pulled from driving in Oregon at least on the day of the eclipse. The Portland airport, about 40 miles from Salem (the better viewing city nearest Portland) is out of rental cars.
Wow, all of this already.

Wow, all of this already.
Yes. I have read several articles that are comparing this event as a sample of what could likely happen in the event of some sort of catastrophic event - man-made or natural disaster.

Salem's population is expected to double - that's just one city. It will not be able to handle the extra load on electricity most likely, as well as the sewer system, and maybe water. The city only has a couple of bridges across the Willamette River, which cuts the city in half. One bridge will be kept for emergency services, so the other two will be bottle-necked.

Here is a very frightening article about what could happen just in Salem. It is a must-read!

What Does a Collapse Look Like? Salem Oregon on August 21, 2017 – That’s What

Reactions: Debi
Yes. I have read several articles that are comparing this event as a sample of what could likely happen in the event of some sort of catastrophic event - man-made or natural disaster.

Salem's population is expected to double - that's just one city. It will not be able to handle the extra load on electricity most likely, as well as the sewer system, and maybe water. The city only has a couple of bridges across the Willamette River, which cuts the city in half. One bridge will be kept for emergency services, so the other two will be bottle-necked.

Here is a very frightening article about what could happen just in Salem. It is a must-read!

What Does a Collapse Look Like? Salem Oregon on August 21, 2017 – That’s What
Keep us posted on this, Sea. You are our local correspondent on news for this!

Reactions: Seahunter