The Doctor will email you

Patients diagnosed using EMAILS: NHS invests in new electronic GP consultations

We recently had a discussion here of the new apps for contacting a Doctor on demand. It looks like this is now going mainstream in the UK! What do you think? Good idea or bad?
I can see a lot of people faking mental disorders to get either medical weed permits or disability benefits. It's so easy over the internet. I think the diagnosis or treatment of anything should be done in person.

Counselling however, would benefit from email and skype. Because some people have anxiety around shrinks and psychiatrists, and that shouldn't exclude them from getting help one way or another

I can see a lot of people faking mental disorders to get either medical weed permits or disability benefits. It's so easy over the internet. I think the diagnosis or treatment of anything should be done in person.

Counselling however, would benefit from email and skype. Because some people have anxiety around shrinks and psychiatrists, and that shouldn't exclude them from getting help one way or another
On the apps in the US, they are forbidden to prescribe narcotics or pain killers of any kind. These scripts cannot be "sent" to a pharmacy...they have to be hand carried and there are no refills on the scripts. Also, disablilty physicals must be done in person.

I can see doing skype or online in some cases for routine counselling.

Reactions: Charleh
I can see doing skype or online in some cases for routine
I email my primary care physician for general questions and to get advice about existing conditions. It has worked well.

Reactions: Debi
I don't think it is a good idea but there is a shortage of doctors in many places and I guess some care is better than no care.

As Critter states above it can be handy if used in certain circumstances.