That ONE thing....

tell that to the art teacher who encouraged me to drop the class!

Well, that doesn't sound good...lol........or it could be that he just wasn't a very dedicated teacher.
I really believe anyone can learn and with practice can produce some very good work, it may be a little harder and a longer path than someone with natural ability, but if its for your own personal growth, that is OK.
Sometimes teachers try to cram all the color theory, perspective, light source, etc... In to fast and lose students who need to learn and practice the very basics.
Sometimes art teachers forget the basic shapes are the building blocks of art....... Davinci himself beat out all the artists in the country for a contract by drawing only a circle......

Paulm, trust me as an art student I would really test your patience. All of my sketches would turn out like I was sitting in the backseat of Mokeys car doodling, while she's driving a hundred miles an hour down the sidewalk.:p

Paulm, trust me as an art student I would really test your patience. All of my sketches would turn out like I was sitting in the backseat of Mokeys car doodling, while she's driving a hundred miles an hour down the sidewalk.:p
And I'm hanging out the window of Mokey's car trying to draw a circle...which I can't, btw....lol

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm

I think if you can sketch and Debi can draw a circle while riding with her at 100 mph on the sidewalk you may have just enough zen to be pretty good artists.......lol

Reactions: 7Critter and Lynne
For me it's maths, but I blame my 9th grade teacher, he was useless. I was fine until we started factorization and he taught it in such a bad way it screwed me over and most of the work up until the end of high school relied on knowing factorization. Other things are creating a standalone Python executable file, embedding a database in Java, oh and accounting. Everyone says it's soooooo easy but I have never been able to grasp it. My last accounting exam was in the 9th grade and I got 29%. That general ledger just becomes a major pain when I try understand it. Basically when I have kids and they ask me for homework help after 10th grade, my response is probably going to be "What does Google and YouTube have on that topic?" lol

I think if you can sketch and Debi can draw a circle while riding with her at 100 mph on the sidewalk you may have just enough zen to be pretty good artists.......lol
Just give me crayons and a color book. We may have a chance that way.

Reactions: Paulm
Playing an instrument. I was in the band from 4 th grade on. I was never very good. I practiced too. Played the clarinet. Id like to learn the violin but it would be a waste I’m sure.
Math would be another thing I couldn’t grasp.
There are some yoga poses I’ll never be able to do :D

Reactions: Paulm and Debi
Playing an instrument. I was in the band from 4 th grade on. I was never very good. I practiced too. Played the clarinet. Id like to learn the violin but it would be a waste I’m sure.
Math would be another thing I couldn’t grasp.
There are some yoga poses I’ll never be able to do :D
If you have decent hand eye coordination you might be able to pull violin off.

Reactions: Paulm
If you have decent hand eye coordination you might be able to pull violin off.
I consider it now and then. Violins are so expensive. Probably won’t happen.

I hear you all on drawing and painting and creating things on paper or canvass. I so love that some people can create things from scratch. I am challenged in that department as well . So challenged that I married an artist. At least my girls have a fighting chance to be creative.

Singing a cappella is my "one thing". Sure I can sing with a group or with the radio. I hear the melody in my head. I just cannot sing it on my own. I love tunes; i hear melodies in my head all the time. Just don't ask me to sing. :)