Sunday Live Chat

Dark matter.jpg

A black hole has a boundary, called the event horizon. It is where gravity is just strong enough to drag light back, and prevent it escaping. Because nothing can travel faster than light, everything else will get dragged back also. - Stephen Hawking

And what is your theory on what dark matter is? curandero81
I really fine this concept beyond my understanding...does NOT adsorb light or emit light ??? Or electromagnetic radiation of any type ???
GRAVITATIONAL effects of dark matter observed means it must exist ???
I just understand the definition by the effects observed...like light and gravity...BUT I cannot begin to really understand it.....just believe those scientists that say it is there....

My mind works in a way where it is hard for me to grasp a lot of scientific information. That and math. Sometimes I have a really hard time following scientific guests, but I love when we get a gem who explains thing to us like we're five. Helps me understand the basic concepts. Dark matter is one of those topics that is difficult for me to understand. I like to hear opinions, so thank you.

I really fine this concept beyond my understanding...does NOT adsorb light or emit light ??? Or electromagnetic radiation of any type ???
GRAVITATIONAL effects of dark matter observed means it must exist ???
I just understand the definition by the effects observed...like light and gravity...BUT I cannot begin to really understand it.....just believe those scientists that say it is there....
'Dero... I don't understand it either. And ( :eek: !HERESY! :eek: ) I still remain skeptical on Dark Matter... MOND (Modified Newtonian dynamics) would "seem" to explain the cornerstone problem of the galaxy rotation "problem" that leads to Dark Matter speculation withOUT invoking magic-can't-see-it-touch-it-detect-it-illuminate-it Dark Matter. And... what is simpler??? Postulating Dark Matter that nobody can find and only interacts with our universe via gravity... or... a slight modification to the centuries old Newtonian mechanics equations (and even then, only at very very very low accelerations.)??

Newton got over-thrown once before in 1905 with our buddy Einstein. Maybe it'll happen again with MOND and our new buddy Mordehai Milgrom (1983 proposal). Newton might work for all of the normal-world-human experience. Cars crashing and rockets to the moon... but... When you go really, really fast (approaching speed of light) Einstein takes over. And when you go really really slow, hundreds of thousands of light years (! OMG !) from your Center Of Gravity maybe Milgrom takes over?

Occam's razor.

MOND isn't perfect either... but Dark Matter borders on pure magic requiring that we quadruple the mass of the visible universe with "something" that we can never see, touch, feel, detect, illuminate... EXCEPT through gravity.

MOND seems SOoooo... much simpler.

If you have time, look here for a nice primer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_Newtonian_dynamics

If you don't have time, ask your favorite physicist, next time you see him/her, why DM is preferred over MOND.

The only downside to MOND that I see is that the "Dark Matter Digital Network" would need to be renamed as the "MOND Digital Network" :p. Doesn't seem to have the same cache, does it :(?

(Sorry for long post... sometimes I get carried away... even without the straight-jacket :p)

Last edited: