Summer Sun

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score

Just saw a picture of a friend that went to the beach.
Lobster red is not a good color for her!

Have you ever had a bad sunburn?
How, when, and where did that happen?
Trust me, I have horror stories to share...lol
37900a44d90e66791d7672948b43ff51f7344bcf83ec0cf68ec9b4624c5c7edd.jpg

My honeymoon was "interrupted" by a Florida sunburn! Drove straight through to Florida after the wedding and went to the beach to get "a little sun". Woke up on beach and new hubs and I went back to hotel room to find we were fried to the point of blisters. Thanks to a very kind woman who owned the place, we found aloe vera and spent the next two days as newlyweds on separate beds because we coundn't even move. Thank goodness there was room service or we would have starved!

Some people, mostly my wife because she look more like this:
IMG_20230714_143942.jpg

hate me for this because it sounds boastful but; I don't sunburn. It doesn't matter how much time I spend in the sun I just seem to get more tanned. I attribute this mostly to my mix of Mexican and Native American heritage and the fact that I keep myself well hydrated at all times.

My typical reaction to hours on end of direct sunlight is to turn a little red that night but wake up more brown the next day. My tan looks reddish brown anyway so being a bit more red in direct sun doesn't really look much different. Every once in a while I'll get a few spots where my skin peels a bit, but it's rare and usually only about a dime sized spot or two.

I know it's "bad" to admit this but I never use sunscreen either. In fact, the smell of sunscreen actually makes me nauseous when just other people around me are using it. As a kid I always hated going to the beach because it always made me sick to my stomach. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I was able to spend time at the beach and be fine. I figured I had just outgrown whatever my issue was until my Mom yelled at me for not wearing sunscreen to the beach, at which point the upset stomach and vomiting came right back.

I have sun burned my nose, but I don't burn that easily. My daughter burned badly once on a school trip to a nearby lake. I thought she had inherited my burn proof skin, but she had to soak in a bath tub of cool water mixed with baking soda, poor thing.

Back in the mid 80s, I went to Eglin AFB in FL to conduct a test that was scheduled to take three days to complete. With me was a very attractive young female lieutenant on her first assignment sent along for on-site training. Amazingly everything was finished by 10 am on the second day, so we decided to have lunch, then hit the beach.

The hotel where we were staying was literally on the beach, and within walking distance of a little Mexican restaurant. So a few tacos and several margaritas later, we hit the beach.....where we both promptly fell asleep. When we woke up, we were crispy critters.

We flew home the next morning, and went straight to the office. As you probably guessed, we were teased by our colleagues. That wasn't the worst of it, however, as the LT's boss, a jerk of a Lt. Col, threatened her with nonjudicial punishment ("Article 15" for you former military folks) if she missed work because of the sunburn. Thankfully she had the weekend to recover.

I have very fair skin. I was a Greenkeeper for years from the age of 15 and spent 6 days a week outdoors in the Oz sun, I got a very slight tan after burning for years. The other apprentices at TAFE used to call me albino, lol. I recently went to a skin doctor and he only found one skin cancer, he was amazed.

Summer of 1994 was a great time. First job out of trade school and working in the electrical field and catching a white marlin out at Wilmington Canyon (around a 100 miles offshore). I got so burnt that trip. I remember next day we were doing attic work and being burnt to a crisp and sweating like a mad man in that attic was NOT part of that fun summer lol. Also got pretty burnt during my trip to Wyoming. There was zero shade anywhere so horseback riding and fishing at that elevation you certainly need protection that i did not use lol. Live and learn right?

Some people, mostly my wife because she look more like this:
View attachment 49679

hate me for this because it sounds boastful but; I don't sunburn. It doesn't matter how much time I spend in the sun I just seem to get more tanned. I attribute this mostly to my mix of Mexican and Native American heritage and the fact that I keep myself well hydrated at all times.

My typical reaction to hours on end of direct sunlight is to turn a little red that night but wake up more brown the next day. My tan looks reddish brown anyway so being a bit more red in direct sun doesn't really look much different. Every once in a while I'll get a few spots where my skin peels a bit, but it's rare and usually only about a dime sized spot or two.

I know it's "bad" to admit this but I never use sunscreen either. In fact, the smell of sunscreen actually makes me nauseous when just other people around me are using it. As a kid I always hated going to the beach because it always made me sick to my stomach. It wasn't until I was a teenager that I was able to spend time at the beach and be fine. I figured I had just outgrown whatever my issue was until my Mom yelled at me for not wearing sunscreen to the beach, at which point the upset stomach and vomiting came right back.
Me too apart from the red part. My dad is Turkish Cypriot and although I have far lighter skin I just tan rather than burning. The only sunburn I got was as a kid during early holidays in Spain when I just stayed out in the sun for a ridiculous amount of time and even then it was minor. After that I just got that as long as I grabbed some shade once in a while to stop my skin really overheating (and grab a nice cool drink) I'd be fine and I really don't need sunscreen. It's really staying out in harsh sun for hours with no break that's the killer.

My honeymoon was "interrupted" by a Florida sunburn! Drove straight through to Florida after the wedding and went to the beach to get "a little sun". Woke up on beach and new hubs and I went back to hotel room to find we were fried to the point of blisters. Thanks to a very kind woman who owned the place, we found aloe vera and spent the next two days as newlyweds on separate beds because we coundn't even move. Thank goodness there was room service or we would have starved!
Now that is a memory! Sorry, that happened to you, but you will always remember your honeymoon being hot, lol.