SpaceX rocket rips hole in atmosphere

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
  • Wow
Reactions: Ragnar0711

This is occurring on each launch. So...what is the cumulative effect of this kind of thing?
each launch probably equals every can of hairspray used in the 80's.................:oops:

This is occurring on each launch. So...what is the cumulative effect of this kind of thing?
Well the worse case scenario is we end up like mars with zero atmosphere and the best scenario is we all smell like hairspray lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Ragnar0711 and Debi
The article leads you to believe there haven't been that many space launches. That got me to thinking about just however many rockets we're fired into the ionosphere.

We know the Germans fired close to 3000 V-2 missiles against the Allies. For the next 10-12 years, the US and Soviets fired captured V-2s and clones for both military and research purposes. If they fired just 50 each for 12 years, that's another 1200. Then came Sputnik/satellites and manned flight. In the meantime the militaries of both nations were testing missiles, as well.

I have no way to even guess how many rockets have been fired by space, commercial, and military organizations the world over since 1957. I'd bet that number would be at least three times what it had been in the 12 previous years, or about 12000 lauches of military, spacy agency, and commercial rockets, for a total of over 15000 launches since WW2.

Last edited:
The article leads you to believe there haven't been that many space launches. That got me to thinking about just however many rockets we're fired into the ionosphere.

We know the Germans fired close to 3000 V-2 missiles against the Allies. For the next 10-12 years, the US and Soviets fired captured V-2s and clones for both military and research purposes. If they fired just 50 each for 12 years, that's another 1200. Then came Sputnik/satellites and manned flight. In the meantime the militaries of both nations were testing missiles, as well.

I have no way to even guess how many rockets have been fired by space, commercial, and military organizations the world over since 1957. I'd bet that number would be at least three times what it had been in the 12 previous years, or about 12000 lauches of military, spacy agency, and commercial rockets, for a total of over 15000 launches since WW2.
I read something about it's the speed of these SpaceX rockets that are doing this. I'd have to look that up to be sure, but I know there was some sort of difference mentioned with these vs. the other launches.

Reactions: Selectric and Duke
Low weight
  • The low weight caused the rocket to launch along a vertical path rather than travelling parallel to the surface of the Earth, resisting gravity and creating circular shockwaves. As a result, it ruptured a hole in the plasma of the ionosphere 559 miles wide.

• Wow
Reactions: Selectric and Duke
I always remember hearing that after launches there is a weather pattern change somewhere in the world. Even if false, you know there is something detrimental to the atmosphere resulting from launches.

I do not need another thing to worry about, this is awful.