something very odd w/ the Pope's translation

No big deal. Words don't translate easily from Latin to other languages as well as others. For example the intent is kept perfectly in French. Lost in English. There have been subtle English word changes as recently as St. Pope JP2. We just rolled with it. Old cranky parishioners were obstinate. :p

Reactions: Benway and Debi
Pope: " Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone " Also Poorly Translated. :p
Well, I learned more about this translation thing this past week than I could imagine. Lots to consider.
The linguists, theologians, church historians all weighed in on Relevant Radio. It became apparent that the English translation is correct, but temptation has multiple meanings and should be addressed in homilies, Bible study, and catechism classes.
No sound bites or memes for this discussion.

Pope: " Harry Potter And The Sorcerers Stone " Also Poorly Translated. :p
Well, I learned more about this translation thing this past week than I could imagine. Lots to consider.
The linguists, theologians, church historians all weighed in on Relevant Radio. It became apparent that the English translation is correct, but temptation has multiple meanings and should be addressed in homilies, Bible study, and catechism classes.
No sound bites or memes for this discussion.
I think that the prayer itself is so ingrained in us that changing it will be difficult...translation or not.

I think that the prayer itself is so ingrained in us that changing it will be difficult...translation or not.
the lord's prayer came from Jesus explaining to the people that God doesn't want to hear our elaborate words. quite frankly he wants nothing to do with semantics or gloating about how faithful we are, in my opinion.

what I'm saying is i think the prayer etched into all of our brains is fine the way it is, but it also wouldn't hurt to have a simple prayer of our own making, on an individual level.

Reactions: 7Critter and Paulm