Sitting Up With the Dead: Lost Appalachian Burial Custom

T-Bob

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
From the peaks of the Blue Ridge and the Great Smoky Mountains, to the river valleys of the French Broad and Catawba, North Carolina has a long history that is steeped in rich Appalachian traditions. Despite the Hollywood “hillbilly” stereotype, Appalachians carry a sense of pride for their culture, language, and heritage.

Isolated from the outside world, Appalachian regions have long struggled with rough rocky terrain for farming and plagued with poverty. Immigrants from Europe began migrating to the area in the 18th century with a large proportion of the population being Ulster Scots and Scotch-Irish. Many pioneers moved into areas largely separated from civilization by high mountain ridges and our pioneer ancestors were rugged, self-sufficient and brought many traditions from the Celtic Old World that is still a part of Appalachian culture today.

If you grew up Appalachian, you usually had a family relative who was gifted and could foresee approaching death, omens or dreams of things to come.

There was always a granny witch to call on when someone was sick and needed special magic for healing. Superstitions about death were common and were considered God’s will. One thing for sure, no matter how hard you fought it, death always won.

Appalachian folks are no stranger to death. For the Dark Horseman visited so frequently, houses were made with two front doors. One door was used for happy visits and the other door, known as the funeral door, would open into the deathwatch room for sitting up with the dead. Prior to the commercialization of the funeral industry, funeral homes and public cemeteries were virtually nonexistent in the early days of the Appalachian settlers.

Read the rest of the article here: Sitting Up With the Dead: Lost Appalachian Burial Customs

If you read on into the article from where I left off, there is a reference to "pottery sherds," and not "pottery shards." Obviously, the writer has a good background in archaeology, or anthropology. An archaeologist would never refer to a piece of broken pottery as a "shard."

Last edited:
Reactions: Debi
Interesting to hear of others customs.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Appalachia. These people do not consider themselves southern,they are "mountain people". The music and much of the culture and accent reflects the irish/scottish roots. I've worked on several films in the region where we have been deep in the back country and I have had the opportunity to visit with many of these people. As a group,they are somewhat distrustful of outsiders but once they trust you,they are kind,generous,no b.s kinda folks. Fascinating people,fascinating area. I'd go back in a new york minute

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
I've spent quite a bit of time in Appalachia. These people do not consider themselves southern,they are "mountain people". The music and much of the culture and accent reflects the irish/scottish roots. I've worked on several films in the region where we have been deep in the back country and I have had the opportunity to visit with many of these people. As a group,they are somewhat distrustful of outsiders but once they trust you,they are kind,generous,no b.s kinda folks. Fascinating people,fascinating area. I'd go back in a new york minute
Love to hear of your travels.