Should you be able to bequeath your digital library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naked Apple

Anam Cara
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this article and was surprised to find out that you cannot bequeath your digital library. That doesn't seem right, somehow. You paid for the content and it should now be yours to give away. However, it is considered to be end user use only. I suppose if it were not, one could buy a movie and charge to show it. Although that would violate copyright, not end user use. I think? What say you? Should you be able to bequeath digital material?

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/01/04/why-you-cant-bequeath-your-digital-library/

You can’t take it with you when you die – and when it comes to digital media, you also can’t leave it behind, either. (See related story.)

The shift to digital music, movies and books sold over the Internet has simplified buying, storing and enjoying vast collections of content. But it has made it nearly impossible to pass along or sell collections when you die.

Records, CDs, DVDs and books which are physical copies that you own, and what copyright lawyers call the “first sale doctrine” allows you to leave them to someone when you die, or sell them. But most online stores sell digital media as licenses – legal contracts that allow usually just one person to use the digital copy of the recording. You don’t own anything real, and the courts haven’t yet said if or how you can pass it on or resell the digital file.

Online superstores including Amazon.com AMZN -2.00% and Apple’s iTunes say little about the idea of bequeathing a library. An Apple spokesman said the company “doesn’t have a policy to allow people to will their digital collections to someone.” An Amazon spokeswoman didn’t respond to calls and emails.

A number of public flaps have highlighted just how ephemeral our digital media licenses can be. In 2009, Amazon angered some customers who had bought the Kindle e-book version of George Orwell’s “Nineteen Eighty-Four” by, in effect, reaching into people’s wireless-Internet Kindle devices and deleting the e-books. Amazon said it did so because it discovered that it didn’t actually have the right to sell the book, and later apologized.

This summer, British newspapers erroneously reported that actor Bruce Willis wanted to sue Apple over the right to bequeath his iTunes collection to his family. The story wasn’t true, but it caused many bloggers to take a closer look into the terms of their contracts with the online stores – those lengthy legal documents that you have to “agree” to before you can buy.

Apple’s iTunes terms, for example, stipulate:

• You can’t sell or give someone else your purchase; the license is for the “end user use only.”
• You can play music, video and e-book content on up to five different computers – except for film rentals.
• You can burn music playlists onto a disc seven times.
• You can’t make copies for anything other than your own personal backup.

In practical – but legally grey — terms, people who want to pass on or sell digital media files could simply hand over a computer or iPod filled with the digital media. And, as with other digital accounts, there’s nothing stopping someone from handing over account details and passwords before they pass away, allowing a survivor to continue accessing their libraries.

While not designed to bequeath a library after death, the website Redigi.com has tried to set up an online marketplace for people to re-sell some of their existing digital media files purchased through iTunes. But Redigi is in an ongoing legal fight in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York with Capitol Records, which has claimed the “first sale doctrine” doesn’t apply to its digital music files.

A Madison, Wisc.-based service called Murfie.com has developed one work-around for the problem that relies on old-fashioned physical copies. Since owners of physical CDs do have the right to sell or give their discs to someone else, Murfie allows customers to send their physical CDs to their warehouse, and then access the music digitally over the Internet. Using the site, people can also then sell or give their music – backed by that physical CD sitting in Murfie’s warehouse – to someone else.

I suppose I'm old fashioned, but I come from the generation that says if I pay for it, it's mine to do with as I please. The average consumer has the same opinion, I think, because that is the model we have used for so long and it's what people consider the default. And honestly, most DRM is pretty easy to break if you really want to break it, so leaving my digital media to someone else upon my death won't be a challenge, but it's the whole notion that I'm being sold use rights that I find bothersome. Like so much in the world today, it's an anti-consumer practice.

I don't even have one of them! Now, hubs does, but I figure I'll be able to access his laptop if need be.

I do agree with the concept of "if you buy it, it's yours!" But if you remember the old Napster site, everyone was sharing everything and no one made a profit so they can't have that! Everyone wants their fair share of the gold.

Reactions: surge and Seahunter
I don't even have one of them! Now, hubs does, but I figure I'll be able to access his laptop if need be.
LOL, I don't have any either! I have never purchased online music or a movie, game, whatever. Never have had a music player either.

LOL, I don't have any either! I have never purchased online music or a movie, game, whatever. Never have had a music player either.
Well, I DO have my games....Angry Birds! lol Purchased two movies in the past but once I've seen it, I'm pretty much done with it!

Oh I forgot! I have purchased two books from Amazon in digital form! I don't have a Kindle, but you can still get a PC-version of Kindle so you can read your book on your computer. I don't like it really though for my purposes. I was reading non-fiction, and needed to continually re-read and reference previous sections in the book, so it was a nightmare to use. Hands down, I MUCH prefer a good old hard-copy for flipping back and forth to study a book. Now a straight-through novel might me okay, but for studying, no thanks on the digital version.

Reactions: surge
Status
Not open for further replies.