Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surge

Linux Inside!
Reaction score
I read an article a few days ago about a San Francisco city supervisor who has proposed lowering the voting age for city elections to allow 16 and 17 year-olds to cast a vote. This would be for local elections only, and the babies... err, sorry, teens... would not be allowed to cast votes for candidates or initiatives in county, state or federal elections. Further, I was surprised to learn that this practice has already been adopted by two small towns in Maryland, one of them just this year.

So, today's question: are 16 year-olds qualified to participate in the political process?

My flippant answer is that it doesn't matter because the government already seems to be run by a bunch of children anyway. But in truth, I think it's a horrible idea! Are you kidding me? I understand that there are some kids that age with enough maturity that they could be trusted with the responsibility of voting, but the overwhelming majority (I'd say 90+%) should in no way be allowed to vote. Have the people who proposed this idea seen, listened to, or talked to a 16 year-old lately? Believe me, they aren't discussing local politics. They are talking about how many kills they have in Call of Duty or what cool new spell their wizard in Worlds of Warcraft just learned. They complain about zits, that school is too hard and how their mom or dad is being a total Nazi for making them drive a five-year-old car to school. What 16 year-olds aren't discussing is whether a new tax is needed to repair the city's outdated sewer system.

I realize that even if extended the right to vote, most kids that age wouldn't involve themselves in the process anyway, but I shudder to think about the damage they could cause if they did. :eek:

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2015/03/17/san-francisco-may-lower-voting-age-to-16/

I would say that most Americans aren't qualified to participate in the political process... It seems like the majority do not educate themselves on candidates and they just check D or R without really knowing anything about them. On the opposite end of the spectrum I would argue that it probably doesn't matter... The forces that be dictate who, what, where, how, and when anyway... My $.02

Reactions: sal, Debi and surge
I agree with Leo. With THAT said, I would add that it is scientifically proven that the brain of a 16 year old does not have the cognitive skills yet to make major decisions. The brain doesn't complete it's decision making skill set until the age of 21 or thereabouts. That's simple fact. That's why we PARENT them, or are supposed to, until the brain is fully formed.

This is just another way to put more "voters" on the board who are easily swayed for the elite to play with. As Leo said, it's all for show anyway!

Reactions: surge
I would say that most Americans aren't qualified to participate in the political process... It seems like the majority do not educate themselves on candidates and they just check D or R without really knowing anything about them. On the opposite end of the spectrum I would argue that it probably doesn't matter... The forces that be dictate who, what, where, how, and when anyway... My $.02
I agree - most people who vote shouldn't be allowed to. I think you should have to demonstrate a knowledge of the issues before voting.

As for whether or not voting matters, I agree with your sentiment as far as national politics go, probably even on the state level, but I do think voting is still important locally. The local level may be the only one left where the people really do have a voice. You can go to your town meetings and be heard. Of course in larger cities even that is being taken away, and people are thrown in jail for being "disruptive". But in small towns like mine, where people basically all know each other... yes, local elections do still matter.

Reactions: Debi and Leo
OK, I'll give you the local elections. It DOES matter who's in as sheriff and school board in our little town as well.

Reactions: surge
I registered to vote when I was 18 and had no clue of politics back then. I just knew to vote democrat. Throughout the years of watching the social network programs get abused, I turned republican and would only vote that. These days I see that it is a joke who is in office, since the agenda of both Bush and Obama seems to be to destroy the country from within, take away more and more of our rights and give away the country and taxpayer monies to bands of marauding hordes. Since our government is run by the Illuminati, shadow government, or other powers that be, what difference does it make if American teenagers vote? Not like it's going to make a difference to anyone other than whoever is in office lining their pockets and giving out jobs to their cronies. Hell, if illegals can vote, why not our own citizens?

Last edited:
Reactions: sal, surge and Debi
And if Obama has his way, we will all be MANDATED to vote. I'm sure there will be people at the door to advise us as to what party is the appropriate vote to keep you out of Hillary's "Fun" camps/re-education camps.

Reactions: sal and surge
i dont think our votes matter either way so I really couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.