Should homeowners....

In Canada, we can only use lethal force if we can't escape the threat against life and limb. Also we aren't required to retreat from our homes, even if that's an option before lethal force. Yes we have castle doctrine :p

I agree with those laws completely. Just trespassing isn't a good enough reason to maim or kill someone. I don't care if you're in Texas where you can shoot trespassers on site, or if you're in a stand your ground state where you can use lethal force for simple assault.

All lives are worth something. Unless it has to be you or them. Then you look out for #1

Here in Missouri, you are NOT justified in shooting anyone for theft of property or cars. You can only shoot an intruder in your home or car-IF they are armed and you FEAR for your life or the life of your family. I agree with this law. You cannot kill someone just for stealing.
I agree with this, but the issue of whether the intruder is armed or not is questionable. Someone can still pose a lethal threat even if they are not armed. Also, as shown in the video, you CANNOT pursue and keep shooting. Once the threat is no longer there, you cannot use lethal force.

Last edited:
Reactions: NobleHouse
I may not have a popular view here because I believe if an intruder breaks into your house while your home you should have the right to shoot. I'm assuming my life is in danger wither they are armed or not. They may want to rape or take a child. I don't believe in shooting someone walking across the lawn but if they are breaking in , I think the homeowner has a right to shoot.

I may not have a popular view here because I believe if an intruder breaks into your house while your home you should have the right to shoot. I'm assuming my life is in danger wither they are armed or not. They may want to rape or take a child. I don't believe in shooting someone walking across the lawn but if they are breaking in , I think the homeowner has a right to shoot.
I totally agree Lynne. I believe if they have broken in to my house, they have become a threat. Especially these days with brazen home invasions while the occupants are home. The old days of tamer home invasions are gone, and they are much more violent today.

The only thing to keep in mind is every state is different with how they spell out your rights as a homeowner. In my state, it says:

Washington law allows for the use of force under certain circumstances. RCW 9A.16.020 outlines the circumstances under which a person can legally use force. The lawful use of force/self defense most commonly arises under three situations:

• Self Defense
  • Defense of Others
  • Defense of Property
Self Defense

Washington Law allows a person to use reasonable force to defend themselves when they are being attacked or have a reasonable belief that they are about to be attacked. A person may not use more force than is necessary given the situation. The law does not impose a duty to retreat. This means that if you are in your home, you do not have to try to escape the situation before defending yourself. This is otherwise called, the “Stand Your Ground Rule" in Washington. On the other hand, you cannot raise self defense if you are not allowed to be in the place you are being attacked in the first place. You do not have to actually be attacked or injured in order to defend yourself. Washington law allows you to defend yourself if you reasonably believe you are about to be injured.

Self defense is commonly used as a defense to:

• Assault (DV)
  • Malicious Mischief (DV)
  • Disorderly Conduct (DV)
  • Harassment (DV)
Defense of Others
Washington Law states that the use of force is lawful whenever used to prevent an offense against another person. This means that under certain circumstances, you may use force to protect another person. Like self defense, defense of other requires that you only use a reasonable amount of force to protect another person. Also like in self defense, the person you are protecting must not be trespassing at the time of the incident.

Defense of Property
Under certain situations, a person may use force to defend against a “malicious trespass or interference" with real or personal property. This means that
if someone is entering your home or taking or damaging your property and they are doing so with an evil purpose, you can defend your property by force. The same rules apply to this defense, which is that you may not use more force than in necessary to defend your property. That means if they start to retreat, you may not pursue them and still use lethal force.

Reactions: Lynne