Should homeowners....

Possums or rats, yes. Squirrels or the friendly neighborhood dog, no.

Reactions: Debi
I post this question as it recently came up for my son during the storm. A warning shot overhead did the job, but he then asked, "Would I have done it if needed? And would it have been right?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
Ah, that sounds dicey. The question can also be posed as legally or morally?

Here's what I told my son. All life is sacred. However, the minute someone is willing to take another life, they give up that sacred status. You then have a right to protect yourself.

Agree. The 'Just War' doctrine. Once had a hippy kid asleep in my car. I found him sleeping off a Grateful Dead concert ;). Sized him up. No threat. Gave him $5, and pointed him in the right direction.

Reactions: NobleHouse
Agree. The 'Just War' doctrine. Once had a hippy kid asleep in my car. I found him sleeping off a Grateful Dead concert ;). Sized him up. No threat. Gave him $5, and pointed him in the right direction.
That's why my line is drawn at "if they are willing to take a life". The hippie kid just probably needed sleep and some food.

Reactions: Paintman
Here in Missouri, you are NOT justified in shooting anyone for theft of property or cars. You can only shoot an intruder in your home or car-IF they are armed and you FEAR for your life or the life of your family. I agree with this law. You cannot kill someone just for stealing.