Psychic Shop in UK in trouble

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY29hc3R0b2NvYXN0YW0uY29tL2NpbWFnZXMvdmFyL2V6d2ViaW5fc2l0ZS9zdG9yYWdlL2ltYWdlcy9jb2FzdC10by1jb2FzdC9yZXBvc2l0b3J5L3RodW1ibmFpbHMvcHN5Y2hpYy13aXRoLWNyeXN0YWwtYmFsbC84NzAwMTUtMS1lbmctVVMvUHN5Y2hpYy13aXRoLUNyeXN0YWwtQmFsbC5qcGc=

The offering of psychic classes for kids by a spiritualist shop in the UK has spawned a heated debate among those with 'the gift.'

Eyebrows were raised in the town of Broxbourne when the 'Spiritual Awakening' shop announced the creation of a 'psychic development course' for teens.

Available for kids as young as 12, the classes purportedly offer patrons the tools to "continue their spiritual pathway" by way of a somewhat unsettling curriculum covering "death, suicide, chakras, guides and much more."

While one can surmise that skeptical adults find the idea of such classes for kids to be altogether distasteful, what may be more surprising is that other psychics are crying foul about the courses.

One unnamed medium told the Herfordshire Mercury newspaper that providing psychic training to a child is highly irregular and that they would never instruct someone under the age of 18 based on "personal experience," which sounds kind of terrifying.

Meanwhile, the UK's Spiritualist National Union has also spoken out against the classes and raised some interesting points about the problems they may create.

Specifically, they say that someone should discover and develop their psychic gift spontaneously rather than have it drawn out of them by way of an ambitious instructor.

The group also expressed concern over how a youngster might deal with the challenges of such training, especially if they were not particularly psychic.

For her part, the owner of the spiritualist shop defended the class, noting that it was requested by "one of my circle members" and that participation required parental permission, stressing "we do not allow children to walk into the shop and book a course."

While that may assuage the concerns of some area residents fearful of rogue teens with newfound psychic powers running amok in the community, it does little to quell the worrisome possibility of a helicopter parent making their kid read Tarot card for hours a day to practice their craft.

Source: Herfordshire Mercury

Reactions: Benway
i agree, it can be a bad idea to have kids getting directly involved in this kind of activity, unless i the kids know exactly what might come of these lifestyle choices. it's the same reason i wouldn't take a minor on a ghost hunt or talk about what i know about demons or even angels for that matter. teenagers are incredibly impressionable which is a concern as malicious spirits can and will manipulate anyone they deem weak, (I.E., impressionable teenagers)

not saying no to it, but i sure hope these kids are prepared to get into the more advanced stuff.

in fact it makes my blood boil when i hear pentecostal preachers talk about casting out demons in front of kids. TAKE THEM TO SUNDAY SCHOOL BEFORE YOU TALK ABOUT THAT!!!!

It depends on what type of class it is, IMO. Awareness and education from a trained professional can be more beneficial than teenagers picking up a few books and experimenting on their own. The students are not necessarily being trained in the class to be psychics, but if they do have a gift, a professional can help them to understand what the gift is and what it means.

I am speaking truly as someone with little or no psychic gifts. If I did have some as a youngster, I would want to understand my gift. How many kids are embarrassed when they find out that they are different, that they see or feel or hear things that most people dont ? A professional can let them know that it's okay to have these gifts. Perhaps a class is the first time that a teenager learns that.

Just my opinion.

Teens have access to EVERYTHING online these days. I would say the most important part would be to have a child old enough (16 is a good age) to comprehend the basics but moreso the INSTRUCTORS should meet a certain level of experience and have good skills with kids. There should also be an open door policy where parents could attend and listen in if they wish.

If a child is younger, I would say a one on one session with a mentor is better for them.

Reactions: 7Critter
Ehhh....they just need to advertise better, instead of spiritual shop and psychic classes they should say Jedi training and learning to control the force.....ppl would be enrolling their teens without any complaints at all.

Ehhh....they just need to advertise better, instead of spiritual shop and psychic classes they should say Jedi training and learning to control the force.....ppl would be enrolling their teens without any complaints at all.
HA! Semantics! Gotta love it!

Reactions: Lynne and Paulm
Professor Charles Xavier was unavailable for comment.

Actually this reminds me of debates on the proper age for sex education. It may seem a bit young, but if they are going to find out anyway, it's as well that it not be from crazy stuff on the internet. As it stands, it's find out about wizarding from Harry Potter ...> Find website on invoking entities to cast spells.....> Put on a cool hat and go! (That example was probably about the occult rather than sex, but some teens have funny ideas about Hermione, so you never know)

The real question is, is this course good or bad? Maybe parents should get some instruction before sending their kids along.

Reactions: Paulm and Lynne
The real question is, is this course good or bad? Maybe parents should get some instruction before sending their kids along.
Good idea. Good even for those objecting to the classes, although the story reads like those objecting are already in the field and probably not going to attend any pre classes or assist with the curriculum. Now if they got a piece of the action . . .money does influence.

Reactions: Lynne
Good thinking Paul :p

Reactions: Paulm
I had a psysic child and I had nobody to help me. The Lutheran Church did not believe in that stuff and the Pentecostal Church we attended studies at thought she had a possession! My little angel was not possessed. Absolutly nobody could give me advice or help me help her deal with all that was going on. She was seeing spirits, talking to the pets and telling me about complete strangers problems. When she got to be a teenager she couldn’t touch the light switches without blowing bulbs. I say all this to explain there is a need for people who have kids with these abilities. I don’t know if it’s these courses or not however it would have been wonderful to have support through this.