Priest weighs in on Exorcism

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
A Priest Weighs in on the realness of the show 'The Exorcist'!

In the Friday, Oct. 13, episode of Fox’s “The Exorcist,” called “Unclean,” defrocked priest (but still a priest, regardless of what he says) Marcus Keane (Ben Daniels) and Father Tomas Ortega (Alfonso Herrera) deal with a girl whose mother claims she is possessed.

Or is she?

Not everyone displaying aberrant behavior is possessed — in fact, most people aren’t. But there are signs to watch for, and Fox supplied this helpful video:

I checked in with Father Vince Kuna, C.S.C., a Holy Cross priest and filmmaker, to run down the list and see if it’s all true. Here’s what he had to say:

1. Supernatural strength: YES. This would also include the ability to levitate. (An ability also attributed to a few of the saints as well.)
  2. Impossible Knowledge: YES. Within a demonic spirit’s capacity of hidden knowledge is the knowledge of one’s sins — including those of the exorcist. This is why it is always important for an exorcist team to go to confession prior to performing an exorcism. Absolution — when the priest, through the power of Christ, forgives confessed sins — wipes out the possessed person’s knowledge of the exorcist’s sins.
  3. Speaking in Tongues: KINDA. This should be more properly understood as a possessed person speaking actual languages they would have no prior knowledge of, not just babbling nonsense. Especially, if someone busts out fluency in dead languages such as Sanskrit, that’s a pretty sure sign of possession.
  4. Fear of Religious Icons: YES. Aversion to religious objects is a final indicator. Although, a wizened Demonic spirit numbed to images of Christ might react indifferently rather than negatively.
The show has also pointed out the power of holy water. Last week, in episode two, a possessed cardinal was able to drink holy water because the demon had entirely integrated into him, destroying his human soul. NOTE: This is an invention of the show, for dramatic purposes. The Church does not believe demons have the power to destroy a human soul, since those belong to God — who is always more powerful than any demon.

More at site

Do I understand this is a show where they do live exorcisms? If so this seems really wrong.

Reactions: Paintman
Do I understand this is a show where they do live exorcisms? If so this seems really wrong.
No, this is actually a fictional show, Lynne, based on the movie The Exorcist. The real priest is simply commenting on the real facts of exorcism.

Reactions: Charleh
No, this is actually a fictional show, Lynne, based on the movie The Exorcist. The real priest is simply commenting on the real facts of exorcism.
Oh k! Thank god I thought we really had hit rock bottom.

Reactions: Paintman and Debi