Old sayings...

I can't think of them now, but some of the Texas ones were good, not even sure what you'd call them, but for example someone would say they "yousta could" do something - like something they did in the past. Or "Can't never could" for positive thinking.

Dukes of Hazzard was always good for one or two of these old sayings per episode too!

Fixin' to...

It doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

She was madder than a wet hen.

Til the cows come home.

She's as pretty as a peach.

Hold your horses.

Heavens to Betsy.

Too big for his britches.

I can't think of them now, but some of the Texas ones were good, not even sure what you'd call them, but for example someone would say they "yousta could" do something - like something they did in the past. Or "Can't never could" for positive thinking.

Dukes of Hazzard was always good for one or two of these old sayings per episode too!

Fixin' to...

It doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

She was madder than a wet hen.

Til the cows come home.

Hold your horses.

Heavens to Betsy.

Good job Sea !

Reactions: Seahunter
Til the cows come home.

Hold your horses.

All those exist in England too and not always in the country! :) I'm a townee and have spent little time in the country other than with other city folk so I may not be much good at this. I did have an Irish English teacher who had some odd phrases. "I'll tie ye to a tree an' make the world dance round ye!" springs to mind from when he was annoyed once. I don't know if that's from the Irish countryside or if he was insane though.

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
All those exist in England too and not always in the country! :) I'm a townee and have spent little time in the country other than with other city folk so I may not be much good at this. I did have an Irish English teacher who had some odd phrases. "I'll tie ye to a tree an' make the world dance round ye!" springs to mind from when he was annoyed once. I don't know if that's from the Irish countryside or if he was insane though.
I like this one , if I ever have any grandchildren I might use it lol.

Reactions: Paintman
Ohhh, I like that one, too!

How about, “Snug as a bug in a rug”! Sounds super cute when you think of a ladybug for example. Scares me to the core when I think about a wasp or a spider or a scorpion.

How about, “Snug as a bug in a rug”! Sounds super cute when you think of a ladybug for example. Scares me to the core when I think about a wasp or a spider or a scorpion.
Guilty of the usage of that...lol

Reactions: Lynne