Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Christmas gift to all of you, I'd like to share a true story of Christmas. Years ago, I worked in a nursing home as Social Service/Activity Director. I'd put up 8 trees, wrapped a river of gifts, and, quite frankly, was feeling a bit bah humbug. Thirty grade school children were due in to distribute presents to the residents. One of those residents was Ruthie. Ruthie had suffered a stroke and could only speak two words. Those words were "Oh shit." (I often thought they were probably the last words she thought as she realized she was having a stroke.) Those two words, depending on her inflection, could mean anything from "Bingo!" to "I don't feel well." Knowing we had kids handing out presents, I chose the most mature looking 10 yr old in the group and explained how Ruthie could only say two words and they weren't nice ones, but she meant them as nice ones. The little girl appeared OK with this and marched up to Ruthie holding out her gift and offering to help Ruthie unwrap it. I watched as Ruthie teared up and nodded her agreement to the assistance. The little girl unwrapped a beautiful angel statue for her and handed it carefully to her, wishing Ruthie a very Merry Christmas.
The next thing I heard was Ruthie saying, "Merry, Merry."
The entire staff went silent. Ruthie had not been able to say anything other than "Oh shit" for 5 years. And after those two "Merry, Merry's", she never said anything other than "Oh shit" again. But the smile on that little girl's face, the big grin on Ruthie's face, and the tears streaming down my face were a true Christmas miracle that year.
So to all of you on this forum full of words, I wish you all a "Merry, Merry!" Remember, the purchased gift you give is always nice, but the gift of your words might be someone's Christmas miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.