Lost City of Atlantis Found?

You are responding too quickly for me to add bits onto my previous post so here's the bit I was going to add:
I don't think it sank. That's the least convincing part of the whole story. Plato says that the sinking caused the Atlantic to be clogged with mud and impassible. Given that Plato justified the noble lie for the greater good in Republic, I think this may be such a lie, designed to stop dumb captains from killing their crews trying to cross the Atlantic.
Well the sludge from the ocean overflowing in some type of geologic catastrophe appears to have cut it off from the ocean. Wouldn’t this have the same effect?

Well the sludge from the ocean overflowing in some type of geologic catastrophe appears to have cut it off from the ocean. Wouldn’t this have the same effect?
Not as he says it. The Pillars of Hercules are the Straits of Gibraltar and by Plato they are fine. I've read and reread it. He tells it in two books and there's no way around it. He means that the entire Atlantic ocean is shallow and full of mud and that nobody can cross it. You could sail around Europe or Africa (and people did), but cross it? No way. The sinking of Atlantis is the most famous part of the story, but it's (in Plato's account) a blatant untruth.
I do think a great land did sink, but not Atlantis. I think it was part of Western India which, thousands of years ago, suffered a huge geological upheaval and actually did sink into the sea. There was an expedition to find evidence on the sea bed, but the people who did it where idiots and dredged the sea bed instead of diving, ruining the site and all evidence. I do think it's the source of all the flood legends of the middle east and Europe though.
And I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids!

Reactions: Lynne and Paintman
Ben, that was really good and thank you for writing that.
I've heard of the Sahara Desert Theory maybe 10 years ago or so. Didn't know what to make of it.
sailor-raising-hand-s-an-odyssey-odysseus-long-journey-named-after-only-survivor-sailor-oh-ok...jpeg

Reactions: Lynne
Not as he says it. The Pillars of Hercules are the Straits of Gibraltar and by Plato they are fine. I've read and reread it. He tells it in two books and there's no way around it. He means that the entire Atlantic ocean is shallow and full of mud and that nobody can cross it. You could sail around Europe or Africa (and people did), but cross it? No way. The sinking of Atlantis is the most famous part of the story, but it's (in Plato's account) a blatant untruth.
I do think a great land did sink, but not Atlantis. I think it was part of Western India which, thousands of years ago, suffered a huge geological upheaval and actually did sink into the sea. There was an expedition to find evidence on the sea bed, but the people who did it where idiots and dredged the sea bed instead of diving, ruining the site and all evidence. I do think it's the source of all the flood legends of the middle east and Europe though.
This makes sense to me. There is probably many sunken cities under the oceans.

Reactions: Benway
Ben, that was really good and thank you for writing that.
I've heard of the Sahara Desert Theory maybe 10 years ago or so. Didn't know what to make of it.
View attachment 29748
I love that! And you're welcome. For what it's worth, when I was a kid (about 10) one of our teachers shared the theory that the Sahara desert was created by an ancient nuclear war. Everyone gets wiped out, forgets and starts again. Me and lost civilisations go back a long way!
And, yes, Odysseus was a terrible captain.

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne
I should say that more clearly! There is no doubt that part of India suddenly sank or that civilisation existed in India. But there is no proof that civilisation existed in the part that sank. But then, it did sink, so...

Reactions: Paintman and Lynne