It's all in the name....

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
I've had many pets over the years. What are some of the names you have used for pets? I always try to wait until they "whisper" their name to me....or my husband nick names them and it sticks. Whichever comes first.

Oh, and while you're at it, what would you name this little thing?

21558851_2019927124689680_7598215635250688619_n.jpg

satans little helper, cuz of the eyes. And as a reference to reverend lovejoy from the Simpsons

I've had many pets over the years. What are some of the names you have used for pets? I always try to wait until they "whisper" their name to me....or my husband nick names them and it sticks. Whichever comes first.

Sweet pea!

I would call her "Little Bear".

Reactions: Debi
My first pet as an adult, was a beautiful grey Tabby named BC. It had a couple meanings, but first it was a nod to archaeology as in BC for dating, like 68 BC.

BC's other names became "Big Cat", "Mr. C", and "Mr. Buddy".

My second cat was a brown Tabby named Bastet. Cats were a very important part of Egyptian culture and religion. Bastet was a goddess in ancient Egyptian religion, worshiped as early as the 2nd Dynasty (2890 BCE). As Bast, she was the goddess of warfare in Lower Egypt, the Nile River delta region, before the unification of the cultures of ancient Egypt. Her name is also translated as Baast, Ubaste, and Baset.[1] In Greek mythology, she is also known as Ailuros (Greek for "cat", αἴλουρος).

Bastet was very cat-like - aloof and a little princess. Her main nickname was "Stetty".

Sophie was my first Whippet, who was black. Her main nickname was "Soph". Her full name was Dreams on the Sofa, that's how "Sophie" and "Soph" came about.

Next was Carmen, a blue Whippet. Her main nickname was "Carmie". There is a long story as to how she got the name "Carmen", but that is for another day...

Then came Cleopatra, a female black Tabby. Like Bastet, Cleopatra was borrowed from Egyptian history. Cleopatra VII Philopator (Greek: Κλεοπάτρα Φιλοπάτωρ; 69[1] – August 12, 30 BC[2]), known to history simply as Cleopatra, was the last active ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, briefly survived as pharaoh by her son Caesarion. After her reign, Egypt became a province of the recently established Roman Empire.

Her nicknames were "Clee", "Cleo", and "Kiki".

Next is my male orange Tabby originally named "Zinger". If you've ever seen the 80's movie Real Genius, there is a guy who mysteriously appears and disappears in a closet. His name in the movie is Lazlo Hollyfeld. Zinger does that, he just appears out of nowhere, so his real name is Lazlo. Occasionally he still goes by just "Zing".

Last but not least is my white female Whippet named Ochenta. Her coat has a very distinctive black number "8" on her left side, and a "0" on her right side. When seen from behind, it is a very obvious "80", and "Ochenta" is Spanish for eighty. Sometimes she goes by "Chentie", or just "80".

Reactions: Paintman and Debi
Porkchop was my 21 year boy cat. No historical significance other than I was eating a porkcop sandwich when he wandered out of the woods to play with us kids.

Reactions: Lynne
My first pet as an adult, was a beautiful grey Tabby named BC. It had a couple meanings, but first it was a nod to archaeology as in BC for dating, like 68 BC.

BC's other names became "Big Cat", "Mr. C", and "Mr. Buddy".

My second cat was a brown Tabby named Bastet. Cats were a very important part of Egyptian culture and religion. Bastet was a goddess in ancient Egyptian religion, worshiped as early as the 2nd Dynasty (2890 BCE). As Bast, she was the goddess of warfare in Lower Egypt, the Nile River delta region, before the unification of the cultures of ancient Egypt. Her name is also translated as Baast, Ubaste, and Baset.[1] In Greek mythology, she is also known as Ailuros (Greek for "cat", αἴλουρος).

Bastet was very cat-like - aloof and a little princess. Her main nickname was "Stetty".

Sophie was my first Whippet, who was black. Her main nickname was "Soph". Her full name was Dreams on the Sofa, that's how "Sophie" and "Soph" came about.

Next was Carmen, a blue Whippet. Her main nickname was "Carmie". There is a long story as to how she got the name "Carmen", but that is for another day...

Then came Cleopatra, a female black Tabby. Like Bastet, Cleopatra was borrowed from Egyptian history. Cleopatra VII Philopator (Greek: Κλεοπάτρα Φιλοπάτωρ; 69[1] – August 12, 30 BC[2]), known to history simply as Cleopatra, was the last active ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom of Egypt, briefly survived as pharaoh by her son Caesarion. After her reign, Egypt became a province of the recently established Roman Empire.

Her nicknames were "Clee", "Cleo", and "Kiki".

Next is my male orange Tabby originally named "Zinger". If you've ever seen the 80's movie Real Genius, there is a guy who mysteriously appears and disappears in a closet. His name in the movie is Lazlo Hollyfeld. Zinger does that, he just appears out of nowhere, so his real name is Lazlo. Occasionally he still goes by just "Zing".

Last but not least is my white female Whippet named Ochenta. Her coat has a very distinctive black number "8" on her left side, and a "0" on her right side. When seen from behind, it is a very obvious "80", and "Ochenta" is Spanish for eighty. Sometimes she goes by "Chentie", or just "80".
id love to see a pic of her numbers