Is this a good idea?!

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Next year, scientists will send messages to search for aliens

Next year, scientists will send messages to search for aliens
How the “Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligences” community is preparing for humans to talk to aliens.

Excerpt:

many SETI astronomers aren't content with only scanning the airwaves for signs of ET. Instead, they think we should also be actively reaching out to the cosmos on behalf of planet Earth.

These astronomers occupy a controversial niche within the SETI community known as Messaging Extraterrestrial Intelligences, or METI. At the forefront of this group is Douglas Vakoch, president of METI International, a research group dedicated to designing and sending messages intended for extraterrestrial recipients.

Vakoch and his colleagues at METI International are fighting an uphill battle. Aside from all the technical problems that come with trying to contact aliens, many SETI astronomers think it's a bad idea.

The METI opposition group, which includes scientists like Stephen Hawking, argues that since we have no idea what ET might be like, sending a message into the cosmos comes with a huge existential risk. If the aliens happen to be friendly, no problem. But if they're hostile, that means we're essentially sending out a beacon that says "ATTACK HERE."

More at site

Reactions: Paintman
This has existential ramifications pertaining to every single species on Earth. I put forth an argument that certain guidelines should be adhered to. Such guidelines should be voted on by everyone around the world. This will hopefully decrease the chance that a careless strategy will get us all wiped out in case xenomorphs or predators discover us. Not saying I think we'll get attacked by ETs, but what I am saying is that we should tread lightly.

This has existential ramifications pertaining to every single species on Earth. I put forth an argument that certain guidelines should be adhered to. Such guidelines should be voted on by everyone around the world. This will hopefully decrease the chance that a careless strategy will get us all wiped out in case xenomorphs or predators discover us. Not saying I think we'll get attacked by ETs, but what I am saying is that we should tread lightly.
I just remembered. NASA actually has a guideline in place for a first contact with alien life. Part of that is if we find them, we don't initiate contact. Because it could be great, or there could be war. And we can't protect ourselves exactly.

Everyone thinks this is a bad idea
So why are they doing this ?