News Is it the beginning of the end for online comments?

I think she said she spies us, not that she's leaving. Or maybe I'm way off. The bantering of a crazed, although, non hallucinating, woman.
That's okay she can spy, along with Debi :D Maybe i should hide as well so i can spy..... Might be fun.

Reactions: Mokey
I've never been great at being subtle, so I just throw it all out in the open. See me!!?? Well, maybe if there was something super fun to spy on I'd try...and get caught. :p

I bet a good deal of a P.I.'s work is spying on cheating spouses. I bet they've seen a lot of dirt lol.

Reactions: Mokey
I read the comments for a great laugh on a lot of stories. Every once and awhile I'll contribute. However, I've noticed a very disturbing trend when actually having meaningful discourse with strangers over the web on comment sections and facebook pages. I've went back to continue enlightening discussion, or intellectual debate only to find those take out while lots of questionable asinine comments remain. Especially when the conversation goes against the grain of what is trying to be conveyed. I have found myself extremely frustrated as of late with a local news outlet continually censoring my conversations while obviously letting trolls run rampant because the trolls go to further the polarization of people rather than working on finding common ground and having a sensible discussion. So much for freedom of speech.

Well people are so married to their own ideology that they can't see any merit in anything that challenges their normalcy bias many times. So when I engage people with a disagreement. I generally try to do it in a thought provoking manner without being offensive and have had some interesting dialogues searching for common ground on issues with people and seen these kinds of threads deleted. While threads of absolute rubbish, insults stay because it helps to echo a sense of division.

Well, I'm not going to read the article but here is my opinion on it.
Then I'm going to auto-post an ad for a get rich quick scheme.
Cut and paste 11 pages from Wikipedia, riddled with factual errors, to support a tangent.
Drag in an argument from a different thread.
Insult your: Politics, religion, Mother, sports team, brand of beer, residence,........ how you mow your lawn.
Thread drift of continental proportions.
Make up quotes from famous people. "Abraham Lincoln says Nazi's were justified in invading Narnia."

Mokey, good luck w/ sleep.

There is a conservative political site that is none of the above, been around since day 1, heavily mod'ed, and several posters are Washington insiders - folks who are day to day employees in DC institutions, and man do you get some inside baseball. Email me if you are interested. Hint. Linda Tripps publicist.

I rarely comment on general news stories. Most of the comment sections are nothing but trolls and flame wars, and if you offer a genuine comment on the story it's quickly drowned out. I do comment on tech sites, and don't remember the last time I saw a troll. It seems we geeks and nerds hold ourselves to a higher standard. :D