Is it a gift or a curse?

Vibe-Feeler

Truth Seeker
Reaction score
Bit of a long read, but I need some help with this and this is as summarized as I can make it...

I have always been able to pick up on...let's call it "energies", both in a paranormal and non-paranormal context. I wouldn't attribute it to anything psychic or clairvoyant because I don't think it's advanced enough to fall under those abilities (but then again I'm not too clued up on this branch of the paranormal).

I only really noticed this ability around 9 or 10 years old, shortly after my father passed away, but my family insist I have been able to do this well before that time (however they never believed it was anything paranormal until the haunting of 2010).

When my dad passed away, I'm sure it did trigger a series of paranormal events to take place (which I will share with you all in future posts). I'm sure one presence in the house was my dad's but there were other presences that just felt very uneasy and unfamiliar with. There would be nights where I would lie in bed and feel like someone else was in the room watching me and it was just this heavy presence like their face was just inches from mine.

There were also a lot of times where as soon as I felt a presence, anywhere and anytime, something unexplainable would happen. So after the 2003 haunting, I tried to improve on this ability, but the activity subsided significantly until 2006. A friend and myself went on a ghost hunt at my place (which is a large plot) and when we walked by this one old structure on the property, I felt a very strong presence coming from it and I snapped a photo (which I will share in my next post). My friend did the same and caught nothing. My photo caught orbs, strange mist/smoke and a shadow figure in the window...all clear as day.

However shortly after taking the picture I saw the same figure standing next to my bed in the middle of the night and it terrified me so much that I started avoiding this ability of mine, and tried running away from it. But over the years since then after doing research and getting a better understanding of the paranormal I have recently regretted shunning my ability. However, after doing research, it has raised a few questions:

1. If this truly is a gift that I have, how can I improve it and master it without triggering anything beyond my control? (who do I talk to, what do I do, how do I make sure whoever helps me is legit and not a poser)

2. Could this "gift" make me a magnet for paranormal activity? Are these entities trying to use me as a channel to get noticed in our world? As I said, when I feel presences sometimes strange things would happen even in places with no prior history of paranormal activity. And the people with me at the time won't feel anything but will also witness the same strange occurrences I do.

3. Could this be psychic/clairvoyant abilities that I have yet to properly utilize?

3. Could this be psychic/clairvoyant abilities that I have yet to properly utilize?
Starting with #3....yes. It does sound like it to me, and I have those abilities.

1. If this truly is a gift that I have, how can I improve it and master it without triggering anything beyond my control? (who do I talk to, what do I do, how do I make sure whoever helps me is legit and not a poser)
And going to #1, I do consider mine a gift most of the time. I also believe all people have the ability, just in different forms and levels. It's now being proven through Quantum physics that we are able to connect together and with our universe at large. This area of research is only beginning to give us answers as to why we are able to do this.

As to who to talk to and how to determine if they are legit....trust your gut. I'm willing to talk with you about it, and I can only offer the other members of this forum to vouch for my abilities, some of which they have witnessed for themselves. I will never try to convince you of anything....I can only offer my own knowledge of it and shine a light on your own path. Each of us has to work with our own abilities, as each varies.

2. Could this "gift" make me a magnet for paranormal activity? Are these entities trying to use me as a channel to get noticed in our world? As I said, when I feel presences sometimes strange things would happen even in places with no prior history of paranormal activity. And the people with me at the time won't feel anything but will also witness the same strange occurrences I do.
And to #2....Yes, once open to it, we do tend to "notice" more of the paranormal world around us. As to entities, I don't channel and don't advise anyone to, especially a beginner. However, once a spirit/entity notices that YOU notice, of course they will try and get your attention. There is much to learn about the field, and it's a rather lengthy education.

Reactions: Vibe-Feeler
And to #2....Yes, once open to it, we do tend to "notice" more of the paranormal world around us. As to entities, I don't channel and don't advise anyone to, especially a beginner. However, once a spirit/entity notices that YOU notice, of course they will try and get your attention. There is much to learn about the field, and it's a rather lengthy education.

I'm guessing by channel, you mean directly communicate with whatever it is I'm picking up? If that's the case, I wouldn't dream of doing that. I have read a few stories of things like that going horribly wrong. And that's my biggest concern, trying to improve on this ability and then doing something wrong that results in a situation I cannot control.

But, Debi, I do welcome any advice/expertise you (and other members) have to offer that can help guide me on working on this ability. Because when you see this image I took (which I will post shortly), given what I captured, I think my ability has some big potential and I want to unlock that potential but I want to make sure I do it right.

Vibe, didn't get that pic to my guy last night but will tonight.

As for learning about your abilities, what do you feel you currently have? i.e. the ability to connect with spirits? Do you hear them, see them, or sense them? Do you sometimes "know" things about the future? Do you sense what others are thinking? Empath qualities?

The first thing you have to do to grow your abilities is to identify what they are.

As for learning about your abilities, what do you feel you currently have? i.e. the ability to connect with spirits? Do you hear them, see them, or sense them? Do you sometimes "know" things about the future? Do you sense what others are thinking? Empath qualities?

There have been moments where people try to hide something from me and I have been able to guess (with considerable accuracy) what they are trying to hide based on the "vibe" I'm getting from them, if that counts as sensing what others are thinking.

But in relation to my paranormal experiences, I have never actually tried to directly connect with an entity. Best way to describe it is, whatever entities are around me, I would say they are trying to connect with me to some extent and I keep trying to prevent that from happening. I guess it's just fear of what I could be connecting with (is it something benevolent or something pretending to be benevolent).

There have been a few times when a presence was made known through smell, there was one case where I heard an entity refer to me by name (which will come up in my next post) and there was this case where I saw this figure at my bed. But mainly it has been sensing energies, of either something that's presently in the room (which I will describe in my post about a trip to Venice) or there were times it was residual energy such as in the Kensington Hospital in Johennesburg which has been running since 1897.

I haven't been able to exactly know things about the future, but there were the rare occasions where I picked up on things that had just happened but we didn't know about them yet. One case was in 2005 on the way to school. When my mom turned down this one road we always took, I said I don't think it's a good idea to take this route today and I didn't know why but that's how I felt. Next thing we get stuck in stand-still traffic because a horse trailer had overturned on that road. Another case was one evening on the way home, we phoned the local Italian restaurant and ordered food to collect when we got there, and when the call was done, I just said to my mom something is not right that side. When we got there, the owner's wife was running the place and we asked where the owner was (we were good friends with him) and she said he's in hospital because he had a heart attack earlier that day.

So you see, there's a whole range of things that have happened which is why I don't really know how to classify this gift. I hope this helps for now, but hopefully as I post more experiences it can help answer your questions in better detail.

You seem to show a wide range of abilities, including possible mediumship and also psychic/sensitive skills. That's often the case with gifts...they can be connected.

As to those entities trying to reach out and connect with you, I have to ask you if you know how to shield from them? And do you have any spiritual or religious connections?

Well when I try to avoid anything connecting with me, firstly I try to get out the room as quickly as possible and I just try to keep my mind distracted with whatever objects I see around me (sort of like focusing on something to "ignore" whatever is trying to connect with me). I don't know if that's the proper way to shield myself but that's what I do. I also read that showing fear can make one more vulnerable so I try not to exude my fear or discomfort too much.

Can you please elaborate on spiritual/religious connections?

Can you please elaborate on spiritual/religious connections?
Are you connected to a church or have a belief system in a Divine being of any kind? Catholic? Wiccan? Agnostic? Buddhist? Belief in a Divine source of any kind?

I believe in Christianity but I keep my distance from particular branches of the faith (Catholic, Anglican, etc.). I don't go to church or anything but I say my prayers each night and I keep my faith strong within myself.

Reactions: 7Critter and Debi