Is Danica Patrick good for auto racing ?

7Critter

Paranormal Trooper
Staff
Reaction score
upload_2015-8-21_10-35-5.jpeg

Wikipedia states that "Danica Sue Patrick is a 33 year old American auto racing driver, a model, and an advertising spokeswoman. She is the most successful woman in the history of American open-wheel racing."

She was voted the 2005 Indycar Series Season Rookie of the year, the 2005 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the year. She has competed in more than 200 races, which includes the Indy series and NASCAR. You may recognize her from GO DADDY commercials; race fans know her as competitive and determined. She is a five foot two, 100 pound power plant. She is also very pretty. Does MS Patrick detract from the sport or bring good publicity ?

Reactions: Hopeless and Debi
I don't follow the sport that much, but I would say she has been great for racing. She is a household name, and for being good at what she does apparently, not for scandalous reasons. I would say she is a much better role model for young girls than the sleazy pop stars and shallow public figures that most young girls idolize. I think she also brought more female spectators into the sport as well.

I'm in Roy's camp. I'm only a casual observer of NASCAR and IndyCar, preferring Formula One, but I'm still well aware of who Danica Patrick is. She comports herself positively and is an excellent role model for all young people, IMO, not just young girls. She's very good for racing in terms of broadening the fan base. I think it's fair to equate her impact on racing to that of Tiger Woods on golf. He brought a demographic to golf that the sport would never have had without him, and she has done the same for IndyCar.

Kind of a mixed results. She does present an image appealing to young women and certain males. Her competitive nature is fierce. I do take away points from her sportsmanship. Sometime you win, sometimes you lose, but you can always be a champion.

I give her points for just breaking thro the barrier and getting someone to back her! The all boy's sport needed a woman in there.

Reactions: surge and Hopeless
absoloutly she is shes doing the best she can in a male dominated market and shes doing a good job

I met Danica once up at Portland International Raceway, she was racing Indy Lights at the time. She signed my hat and is in good company with the likes of Alex Zanardi, Sébastien Bourdais, Juan Pablo Montoya and others.

In other news, Justin Wilson was struck in the head by debris flying from Sage Karam's car after it crashed into the wall at Pocono today. It appeared the front nosecone of the car, bouncing on the track, stuck Justin in the head and then flew about 100 yards straight up into the air. Wilson then, probably unconscious from the impact, drove straight into the infield wall. He has been airlifted to the hospital, unconscious and unresponsive, and no new news has been released, which to me is not a good sign. Prayers for Justin Wilson and his family and friends.

danica.jpg

Oh Jeez! I hadn't heard about Justin Wilson yet! Thanks for passing that along, T. Prayers up for him.

And I didn't know you were all into racing! :D Nice autograph there!

Reactions: t-dub
Just watched that wreck....that's not good. And I read they quarentened the car. They don't usually do that.