Incoming Space Station full of cancerous material

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Space station set to hit Earth is packed with CANCEROUS chemicals - and may hit anywhere

Space station set to hit Earth is packed with CANCEROUS chemicals - and may hit anywhere

Most of the satellite is expected to burn up when it re-enters the atmosphere in March but up to 40% could survive as debris.

Aerospace Corp which provides advice and technical guidance on space missions has raised fears about exposure to the lethal chemical, reported Mail Online.

A statement said: "Potentially, there may be a highly toxic and corrosive substance called hydrazine on board the spacecraft that could survive re-entry.

For your safety, do not touch any debris you may find on the ground nor inhale vapours it may emit."

Hydrazine is a colourless, oily liquid which is highly reactive and used for industrial, agricultural and military purposes.

The space station, which translates as Heavenly Palace 1, was launched in 2011 to serve as a manned laboratory but mission control lost contact with it last year.

China was initially tight-lipped on Tiangong-1 before releasing a statement in September which predicted it would crash into Earth in the latter part of 2017.

But now experts have predicted a March 2018 uncontrolled entry is more likely and countries at risk include Spain, Turkey, India, Italy and parts of the US, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

EPA experts have said that they are “confident” debris will not land further north than 43°N or further south than 43°S.

But they stressed any countries between these latitudes could be hit by the craft’s junk.

Lottie Williams is the only person to have been hit by space debris – in Oklahoma in 1996 – but she was unharmed.

The largest object to renter Earth’s atmosphere was the Mir space station in 2001 which weighed 120,000kg compared to the 8,500kg Tiangong.

Most of the satellite is expected to burn up when it re-enters the atmosphere in March but up to 40% could survive as debris.

Aerospace Corp which provides advice and technical guidance on space missions has raised fears about exposure to the lethal chemical, reported Mail Online.

A statement said: "Potentially, there may be a highly toxic and corrosive substance called hydrazine on board the spacecraft that could survive re-entry.

For your safety, do not touch any debris you may find on the ground nor inhale vapours it may emit."

Hydrazine is a colourless, oily liquid which is highly reactive and used for industrial, agricultural and military purposes.

The space station, which translates as Heavenly Palace 1, was launched in 2011 to serve as a manned laboratory but mission control lost contact with it last year.

China was initially tight-lipped on Tiangong-1 before releasing a statement in September which predicted it would crash into Earth in the latter part of 2017.

But now experts have predicted a March 2018 uncontrolled entry is more likely and countries at risk include Spain, Turkey, India, Italy and parts of the US, according to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

EPA experts have said that they are “confident” debris will not land further north than 43°N or further south than 43°S.

But they stressed any countries between these latitudes could be hit by the craft’s junk.

Lottie Williams is the only person to have been hit by space debris – in Oklahoma in 1996 – but she was unharmed.

The largest object to renter Earth’s atmosphere was the Mir space station in 2001 which weighed 120,000kg compared to the 8,500kg Tiangong.
good grief! CAn you imagine if it was full of alien disease? Cancer is bad enough but space cancer? I'm sure the government will hide the cure from us for that too

Reactions: Lynne
Let us hope that closer to 100 percent of the debris burns up on re-entry.

Reactions: Debi
it's Carcinogenic* not cancerous. if a news source can't use the right terminology, then i don't trust it any more than the Daily Testicle. The Daily Testicle – Your reputable source for reliable news
so the Verge is saying there is no need for concern about this. A Chinese space station is falling to Earth next year — but it’s the last thing to worry about since this has happened before with similar sized spacecraft. and the Australian government charged the USA $400 for littering :D

and i did some research for myself and found that the flash point of Hydrazine is 99f in the presence of air. HYDRAZINE

i speculate that the space station will overheat and the fuel will blow the station up into smaller parts, making it easier to burn up upon reentry. if any fuel makes it to the ground, it's gonna be burnt out or will disperse in less than a day. as you wait, just be cautious if you smell ammonia.

Reactions: Lynne
Not trying to downplay this or change the topic, but what I don't get is how they can make such a big deal of this but nooooooobody says a word about the stuff fukishima is pumping out on a daily basis. This is nothing compared to what's going on there.

Not trying to downplay this or change the topic, but what I don't get is how they can make such a big deal of this but nooooooobody says a word about the stuff fukishima is pumping out on a daily basis. This is nothing compared to what's going on there.
Paul, I've been running a thread on that since it happened. That is the worst disaster ever to hit earth and not a freakin' peep outta the press because it's been surpressed! It's a crime to even report on Fukushima in Japan! I'm in full agreement with you.

Reactions: Paulm
Excellent point. I want to cry every time I think about this. It may be the disaster that ruins the earth.

Reactions: Debi and Paulm