I miss this...

I'm going with that candy from Debi's original post. I've long regretted that it wasn't available three-sixty-five. Those little rectangular pieces that are half fruit flavored and half cream flavored? I swear, better than chocolate. And somehow, peppermint just tastes better when in ribbon form. This is the first year where I haven't been able to find it anywhere, not even the knock offs that don't have the 'filled' variety in the mix.

Also, those large Christmas lights from when I was tiny. Confession: I like bright, shiny things. I don't care if they burn yr hands when you touch them... they're bright and shiny and I want them. I miss those, as well.

But I miss the candy more. It's bright and shiny, as well, but doesn't burn my fingers... ; )

Attachments

• xmas lights.jpg
    xmas lights.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 105
Or party poppers
I've heard of these things and was even given one once by a British friend, but they are not part of the celebrations here in the US, Ben. I bet some people here don't even know what they are! We have a serious lack of tinsel and poppers over here! lol

I miss the innocence that comes with being a kid. Not realizing your parents want to get you everything but cant. Most of all I miss the shows and the peaking at presents by tarring open a little corner thinking no one will notice. I miss how my family was united before My mother died. That seemed to break the bond of family. I miss not knowing the truth and having dreams that were outrageous.

My brother used to call me the little dumber boy because he could tell that claymation made me sad. I miss the plays at church. I wonder what the hell happened to that kid.

Armand, you just hit home with that. Yesterday I got to spend with two of my grandkids, two of my sons, and Mr. 17 and hubs. We made that our early "Christmas". As I watched the kids tearing into gifts and then later playing games together and sharing dinner with all, I flashbacked to when I was that child with the face of wonder. It then came to me, I was now my grandmother, watching on as the family came together for one day of sharing. It was a houseful of chaos, but it was one of joy.

Even during that wonderful moment of time when all was right with the world, I still missed my parents and the family from the past. I took a moment to be thankful that I could now bring that memory back and join it with this new one I was making with my children's children. Someday I hope those two little ones will bring forth the memory of this day when they are the grandparents looking at their own little ones.

I spoke of this last night with a friend who decided not to have kids, but she still found the wonder in a child's eyes this year. She had helped wrap presents for United Ways Christmas Angel kids. She also mentioned that as she wrapped each gift she thought of each child trying to tear a bit of paper to see what was inside.

There's a gift within each of us waiting to be given. Armand, thank you for this gift of memory today. I think you touched a lot of hearts with your post. You played the drum well for us.

...peppermint just tastes better when in ribbon form.

Hey Soul, quick technical point to share for anyone not familiar with this.

Let’s assume for a second two pieces of peppermint candy are made from the exact same recipe even from the same batch but one is formed into maybe a candy cane and the other into a ribbon candy. There is a chance that the ribbon candy could actually taste better to a person who samples both. The candy with the greatest surface area will produce more flavor in your mouth. So you could be right in that peppermint ribbon candy does generally taste better than some other forms of peppermint candy.

Easy way to experience this is to take any hard candy (which you are certain will not break your teeth) and suck on it for a few minutes. Savor the flavor and make note of just how much you can taste. Then bite down on the candy to break it open. In about three seconds, do a similar conscious analysis of the flavor. In general, you should have a significant and recognizable increase in flavor after the bite because you have seriously increased the amount of candy surface area that is in contact with your tongue.

Next up, an explanation for the mysterious fruit and cream hard candies.

Last edited:
I'm going with that candy from Debi's original post. I've long regretted that it wasn't available three-sixty-five. Those little rectangular pieces that are half fruit flavored and half cream flavored? I swear, better than chocolate. And somehow, peppermint just tastes better when in ribbon form. This is the first year where I haven't been able to find it anywhere, not even the knock offs that don't have the 'filled' variety in the mix.

Also, those large Christmas lights from when I was tiny. Confession: I like bright, shiny things. I don't care if they burn yr hands when you touch them... they're bright and shiny and I want them. I miss those, as well.

But I miss the candy more. It's bright and shiny, as well, but doesn't burn my fingers... ; )

I’m in full agreement ! Well said.

Armand, you just hit home with that. Yesterday I got to spend with two of my grandkids, two of my sons, and Mr. 17 and hubs. We made that our early "Christmas". As I watched the kids tearing into gifts and then later playing games together and sharing dinner with all, I flashbacked to when I was that child with the face of wonder. It then came to me, I was now my grandmother, watching on as the family came together for one day of sharing. It was a houseful of chaos, but it was one of joy.

Even during that wonderful moment of time when all was right with the world, I still missed my parents and the family from the past. I took a moment to be thankful that I could now bring that memory back and join it with this new one I was making with my children's children. Someday I hope those two little ones will bring forth the memory of this day when they are the grandparents looking at their own little ones.

I spoke of this last night with a friend who decided not to have kids, but she still found the wonder in a child's eyes this year. She had helped wrap presents for United Ways Christmas Angel kids. She also mentioned that as she wrapped each gift she thought of each child trying to tear a bit of paper to see what was inside.

There's a gift within each of us waiting to be given. Armand, thank you for this gift of memory today. I think you touched a lot of hearts with your post. You played the drum well for us.
Indeed he did ! The memories are sweet it makes us ache for the past.

Hey Soul, quick technical point to share for anyone not familiar with this.

Let’s assume for a second two pieces of peppermint candy are made from the exact same recipe even from the same batch but one is formed into maybe a candy cane and the other into a ribbon candy. There is a chance that the ribbon candy could actually taste better to a person who samples both. The candy with the greatest surface area will produce more flavor in your mouth. So you could be right in that peppermint ribbon candy does generally taste better than some other forms of peppermint candy.

Easy way to experience this is to take any hard candy (which you are certain will not break your teeth) and suck on it for a few minutes. Savor the flavor and make note of just how much you can taste. Then bite down on the candy to break it open. In about three seconds, do a similar conscious analysis of the flavor. In general, you should have a significant and recognizable increase in flavor after the bite because you have seriously increased the amount of candy surface area that is in contact with your tongue.

Next up, an explanation for the mysterious fruit and cream hard candies.
Wands you are so funny. This is very true but I think this is the first candy analysis I’ve ever read lol. I LOVE IT!!!!!! You know what, that will stick in my mind now every time I have a piece. I will think of you!

Reactions: 7Critter