How would you handle this?

What Sea said.
Expanding on the purpose of misbehavior , once the goal is established, and where on that list our young sorcerer falls, then I would help them find a healthy substitute. OK, easier said than done. But be clever, play the shrink, be patient. Let them discover their answer - the ah ha moment imprints on the mind much deeper because it displays as self revelatory.
Other options are available, but people have a habit of doubling down on stupid when, for example..... being scared straight. . Or called out on their true motives. Or, and in this case especially, and the damage it can do to self and others ; treating the matter lightly. Granted, Debi isn't doing that, but those around our young sourcer may, and drive them further along into that continum of 4 goals of misbehavior.

Reactions: Lynne and Debi
Facts. When I "lecture", I give facts and resources for them to check it out themselves. I've found, as Paint says, the fastest way to make a teen double down on behavior is to tell them "No." It's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I have found it best works when I tell the parents to offer alternative reading to steer the boat to the light. If there is an honest interest in the paranormal, give them the right research material to look at. That's also one of the reasons I insist on our forum staying "clean"....kids research, they look at this site.

Reactions: Charleh
What Sea said.
Expanding on the purpose of misbehavior , once the goal is established, and where on that list our young sorcerer falls, then I would help them find a healthy substitute. OK, easier said than done. But be clever, play the shrink, be patient. Let them discover their answer - the ah ha moment imprints on the mind much deeper because it displays as self revelatory.
Other options are available, but people have a habit of doubling down on stupid when, for example..... being scared straight. . Or called out on their true motives. Or, and in this case especially, and the damage it can do to self and others ; treating the matter lightly. Granted, Debi isn't doing that, but those around our young sourcer may, and drive them further along into that continum of 4 goals of misbehavior.
You missed your calling Paint :D

Reactions: Paintman and Debi