Goodbye Sports Illustrated.....

Duke

Open-minded critical thinker
Staff
Reaction score
A couple days ago, "Sports Illustrated" fired/laid off its entire staff, apparently signaling the end of the publication after 70 years.

Were you an SI reader? Will you miss it? Are there any magazines/periodicals you once read that are no longer published?

Reactions: Selectric
A couple days ago, "Sports Illustrated" fired/laid off its entire staff, apparently signaling the end of the publication after 70 years.

Were you an SI reader? Will you miss it? Are there any magazines/periodicals you once read that are no longer published?
Never read it but always heard about who made the cover. That seemed to be a big deal for the guys! lol

I miss Cosmo, Good Housekeeping, and Redbook. What I miss most is being able to turn the page and come upon something I wanted to bookmark by folding the page corner. Or even the ads back then! Some were of actual interest when it came to new make up or perfumes. And tearing out a recipe...no printer (that is normally out of ink) required.

I was more of a "Sporting News" guy, usually only read SI in waiting rooms. I do remember the Cheryl Tiegs scandalous mesh swimsuit photo from the mid 70s, however.

As I youngster I liked the large format photojournalism magazines like "Look" and "Life." In college I became a huge "National Lampoon" fan, still have a copy of the infamous "Death" issue.

My favorite magazine ever was "World Press Review." It was a monthly that did detailed analysis of news stories from around world through the eyes of newspapers and magazines the world over. What I really liked about it was their policy of even-handedness, you heard both sides of all stories.
It got taken over by a publisher with a political agenda, so I quit reading it. It folded within a couple years.

I always loved MAD magazine when younger. In my teens i tended to receive Cutlery books for what knife i wanted to buy. Now, i am far more interested in the electrical publications. They are chock full of code updates, do's and don'ts, publicize large project info, and tool tips.

Reactions: ozentity and Debi