GHOST SUB Perfectly preserved World War 1 submarine FOUND in the North Sea

Seahunter

AKA "Roy"
Reaction score
A submarine used by Germany during World War I was found basically intact and with bodies of 23 people inside off the coast of Belgium.

Authorities said the UB II-type diver was found on the floor of the North Sea at about a 45 degree angle, between 82 to 98 feet below the surface. The boat is 88 feet long and nearly 20 feet wide.

“It’s quite amazing that we found something like this,” Western Flanders Gov. Carl Decaluew said. “The impact damage was at the front, but the submarine remains closed and there are 23 people still onboard.”

He said the U-boat was found by researchers but declined to provide information on the wreck’s location to prevent people from going near. He said the German ambassador was also contacted because “we need to see what [we] can do” with the remains.

1505843902354.jpg

In this undated photo people stand on the deck of a World War I German submarine type UC-97 in an unknown location. (AP Photo)

While mostly intact, the vessel did sustain some damage at the front. It appears that the sub may have struck a mine with its upper deck while two torpedo tubes have been destroyed. A lower tube is intact and closed.

Around 18 German U-boats were stationed with the Flanders Flotilla in Bruges between 1915 and 1918. Thirteen of them were destroyed.

More at site: German World War I submarine discovered intact with 23 bodies inside

saw this posted this morning in a history group i am in on facebook really cool stuff and the fact that it was preserved this well for so many years makes it even better of a find

Reactions: Debi and Seahunter
Such an awful way to die. Those poor soldiers. War is a sad thing. Finding the submarine may give their families closure.

Such an awful way to die. Those poor soldiers. War is a sad thing. Finding the submarine may give their families closure.
Yes, a slow death is just horrifying. Often sites like this are left alone so as not to desecrate the site. It will be interesting to see if they do actually attempt a recovery.

Yes, a slow death is just horrifying. Often sites like this are left alone so as not to desecrate the site. It will be interesting to see if they do actually attempt a recovery.
I think I would want to be found if I was a soldier.

Reactions: Seahunter and Debi
Sea, there is a fantastic book about WW1 U-boats and the sinking of The Lusitania by Eric Larson. He wrote Devil In The White City among others. I can't remember the correct title as it has been passed around more than a beer bong at a frat kegger. :)

Reactions: Lynne