Get two bandaids...

What playground equipment kicked your butt as a child?
I broke an arm on a swing.
Got a second degree burn from a slide.
How about you?
View attachment 55721
Honestly i had more issues from falling gypsy moths (caterpillars) coming out of the trees and landing on my neck, arms, etc stinging me than the playground itself lol. There were a few times swinging as high as i (we) could, and then jumping off, yeah got messed up pretty good lol.

I know how you got the burn from a slide. When I was younger, the slide was always hot and then I thought "This is a playground equipment that children are supposed to play with?" Then I realized the trick was just not getting the parts of the your leg that are not covered with trousers on the slide. But still I wished teachers and parents taught us how to avoid this when riding slides.

6. Definitely 6. But it had some help.

In school a bunch of us used to compete by seeing who could hang the longest. So there would be about one boy per rung all hanging there and groaning while trying to not fall off before everyone else. Then one day in a moment of desperation one boy wrapped his legs around another's waist and pulled him down. We all agreed that didn't count for hang time competition. But it also gave us an idea for a better game!

We still tried to hang on the longest but now we would wrestle our legs at the same time. Leg wrestling soon became full on kicking. Then came head butting and the high risk high reward tactic of hanging on with only one arm and using the other to grab, punch or otherwise strike each other trying to make someone else fall. Before long it was just a big free for all Battle Royale of boys pummeling each other until the last boy hung there by themselves, victorious.

I still remember being let out for recess and all the boys would make a bee line for the monkey bars. All of us running to get there, all with a single purpose in mind, yelling our battle cry of "There can be only one!"
OMG This made my day! I had a good chuckle while reading this. I can so see this happening and is so typical of the young man's drive to be a warrior. You described this so well I can picture a mini movie; the battle cry is so perfect. Thank you for sharing this.

Reactions: garnetsilver