Furry Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
OK....we all know Art Bell is the cat guy. He's often told of how his cats have him well trained. As I thought of this yesterday, I got to thinking....my dogs have me trained! How did that happen??? :oops:

I have a pom who will only eat his food if I hand feed him. He hates having his fur get near the bowl, yet he is quite able to eat dog treats without assist in any way. I have a boxer who sits outside the kid's door at two in the morning and demands treats and won't quit until he gives her one. I have an English Bulldog who is the doggie equivalent of Sheldon Cooper....she has her own "spot", demands to be held most of the time, and who has her own ramp for bed access. Oh, and she watches TV and barks at all the animals she sees...which means we have to avoid Animal Planet now. Impossible to watch with the barking! Yep...we have been trained.

So, here's the question: Do you own your pets or do your pets own YOU? And what have they trained you to do for them?

Last edited:
Reactions: surge
Oh, please! Most of you regulars know that we have six dogs. Four miniature Dachshunds (although one of them is closer to standard size than mini - not overweight, just bigger), a mini Rat Terrier and a Chihuahua. Two of them are rescues who have come to live with us in the past year, and if we had the room I'm sure we would adopt more. So many out there who need homes, but I digress.

Anyway, yes, the pets own us! Dog steps so they can get into the bed, where my wife and I are allowed a tiny strip near each edge. Heaven forbid we need to turn over, and a return trip from the bathroom during the night necessitates sliding at east one dog out of my spot so I can get back into bed. We feed twice a day, and it's impossible to forget to do because the closer-to-standard Dachshund will remind you. She has a very loud bark!

The Chi has a little green stuffed frog that he adores. When he decides he's ready to play fetch with it, he brings it to you and will not let you rest until it is thrown. Repeat process until he is finished!

The Mini Rat Terrier has his own wardrobe. Seriously. I have one dresser drawer containing nothing but his shirts, coats and sweaters. He is cold natured, so almost always has on a shirt. I'm pretty sure he has more clothes than I do!

The oldest Dachshund has her collection of toys, mostly balls that used to squeak. I say used to because the first thing she does to a new ball is get busy destroying the squeaker. I think her time is down to under ten seconds now. :rolleyes: There is one exception. For some reason, there is one ball with feet on it that she hasn't ripped the squeaker from, and it's her favorite. If we let her, she would take it to bed each night.

The newest adoptee is the treat hound. The shelter thought she was about four years old and had been a breed dog; she wasn't house trained. To help get her to understand that she needed to go outside to use the bathroom, we used treats as a reward when she had a successful trip to the yard. She still expects (and gets) the reward even after several months of being with us and learning not to use the bathroom inside!

The other Dachshund just demands to be held, but then none of the others are shy about climbing into a lap either. Two dog beds in front of the fireplace, but if there is a lap available that is their preferred sleeping spot. I blame all this on my wife. :D

Reactions: Debi
I don't feel so bad after reading that! lol The bed problem is one I also deal with. Yesterday I had one dog trying to actually push my laptop off the bed so she could take the warm spot. It was at that point it dawned on me I am owned, not the owner.

Since we're talking animals today, this made me laugh. (Thanks, @Becki!)

10418236_441182549380720_7550673272363859954_n.jpg

Reactions: surge
I think anyone with a pet learns what their different body language means. When my Squiggy (chihuahua) starts walking around the room aimlessly, I know he is looking for a special place to do his business. That's when I jump up and say "Time to go out". They both know what that means and run to the door to be let out to the backyard.

Reactions: surge and Debi
I like to think I'm fairly decent at teaching my animals what to do. I have two dogs ( a border collie, and a wolf mutt) a cat, a quaker parrot, and 3 parakeets. The parakeets fly free most of the time, and the parrot stays out as well. The cat is an outside cat, but occasionally comes inside to hang out. He paws at the door when he needs to go back outside. Yep, I have a housetrained kitty. My dogs are housetrained and besides taking forever to come back inside when told, generally do what I say quickly and efficiently.
I can have all 7 animals lounging on the bed with me without a single mishap, so I think that's gotta account for something.
I've also trained several dogs, who just weeks prior, would want to rip people to shreds as soon as look at them. I am a firm believer in the fact that any dog can be rehabilitated. I have did it myself, and I am no expert, or even had any training whatsoever.

I like to think I'm fairly decent at teaching my animals what to do. I have two dogs ( a border collie, and a wolf mutt) a cat, a quaker parrot, and 3 parakeets. The parakeets fly free most of the time, and the parrot stays out as well. The cat is an outside cat, but occasionally comes inside to hang out. He paws at the door when he needs to go back outside. Yep, I have a housetrained kitty. My dogs are housetrained and besides taking forever to come back inside when told, generally do what I say quickly and efficiently.
I can have all 7 animals lounging on the bed with me without a single mishap, so I think that's gotta account for something.
I've also trained several dogs, who just weeks prior, would want to rip people to shreds as soon as look at them. I am a firm believer in the fact that any dog can be rehabilitated. I have did it myself, and I am no expert, or even had any training whatsoever.

I give you credit for being able to train them. My fur babies go outside mostly, but have many an "accident" in the house. I don't even yell at them anymore. I just break out the bleach water and mop it up. Kudos on the wolf! I'd love to have one of those.

I give you credit for being able to train them. My fur babies go outside mostly, but have many an "accident" in the house. I don't even yell at them anymore. I just break out the bleach water and mop it up. Kudos on the wolf! I'd love to have one of those.

I originally had her mother, who was pure, but we had to give her away. I helped birth this one. Cut the cord and everything :). She doesn't look too wolf-like, but her mannerisms give it away. We tried telling our vet she was German Shephard, but he saw right through it :oops::D

Reactions: Naked Apple
Status
Not open for further replies.